Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Guest Network

dl42
Aspirant

Guest Network

RBK13 setup running in AP mode.

I have just noted that the option under guest network  "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network" is selected and grayed out so cannot be changed.   When did this change occur as I know for certain I had deselected this (otherwise its not a guest network is it!) and the option was working properly a while back i.e. guests could not see anything else on the network.   I think this must have changed during a firmware update at some point.   I have just done a factory reset and the option is still grayed out. Currently on V2.6.2.104.   Anyone shed any light on this?

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Guest Network

Possible they removed support for Guest Network in AP mode. 

Orbi isn't listed here but for most AP mode seen in routers, GN isn't supported:

https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

Message 2 of 5
dl42
Aspirant

It definitely worked with previous versions of firmware  in AP mode as I checked it.   t was one of the main features I was looking for.  I had tried a number of other vendor routers/AP who claimed to have guest network capability but clearly didnt once tested.   I was pleasantly surprised that the RBK13 did have it and it worked.

I'm going to try and find when it stopped working!

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Try downgrading FW to last working version then. 

Something to discuss with NG support and see. They don't tell us when features are added or removed. 

Message 4 of 5
dl42
Aspirant

OK so I stepped back to 2.3.6.2 did a manual downlaod and manual update.   Result  - All worked as it should do. Then I worked through a few versions2.3.6.18, 2.5.1.30, 2.6.1.44 and finally 2.6.2.104 (latest and greatest) just doing manual updates and then checking the guest functionality and looking at the option "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network".   In all cases the option was there and could be toggled and worked as expected ie when option deselected device connected to guest network could connect to the internet but could not "see" anything else on the network.

So the question is why the "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network" became grayed out and forced select?   I have a screenshot that shows I wasn't imagining it!

Problem solved........though always disconcerting when you dont know exactly why..........   

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7