Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Guest network in AP Mode?

whittle
Guide

Guest network in AP Mode?

I'm thinking about putting a router in front of my RBK50 and running the Orbi system in Access Point mode.  Do you lose access to the Guest Network feature in AP mode?

Thanks much.

whittle

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe so since the WAN port become a LAN port and the separation beteen WAN and LAN is disabled which Guest Network is dependent upon the WAN side being used.

Message 2 of 17
Mozez
Guide

@whittle wrote:

I'm thinking about putting a router in front of my RBK50 and running the Orbi system in Access Point mode.  Do you lose access to the Guest Network feature in AP mode?

Thanks much.

whittle

Hi Whittle,

Yes you can. That is exactly how I have mine setup right now. My FIOS router is handling all the DHCP, DNS, firewall stuff and my ORBI is running in AP mode only. You can enable the GUEST wifi on the ORBI without any issues. You do have to use the web interface (orbilogin.com) to turn on the guest network. You can also use the android app (netgear genie) to turn the guest network on/off. The option to do so on the IOS app is not available when you turn on AP mode, for whatever reason.

Regards,

Moses

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind. I guess NG solved the Guest Network with WAN issue while in AP mode. Good to hear.

Message 4 of 17
whittle
Guide

Thanks very much Moses.  I think I will give it a go.  Just for reference, what Orbi firmware are you running?  -whittle

Message 5 of 17
Mozez
Guide

Hi Whittle,

My ORBI router is currently on 2.1.4.10. 

Regards,

Moses

Message 6 of 17
whittle
Guide

Moses,

Another question if I am not overstaying my welcome...

Do you know if the LAN ports on your Orbi router and Orbi satelites are active in your configuration?  Are they basically acting as switch ports for your internal network?

-whittle

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

LAN ports are active in any mode.

Message 8 of 17
Mozez
Guide

Hi Whittle,

I can confirm that the LAN ports on the router are active and working in AP mode. I have a windows PC connected to one port and another switch connected to a second port, so yes they are all still active in AP mode. I can't confirm the ORBI satellites since I have two RBW30s which doesn't come with any LAN ports. However, I don't see why they would not work either. It would basically be the same as in Router mode.

I also have both the ORBI router and satellites assigned static IP addresses from my FIOS router (via MAC address) since the ORBI doesn't allow you to set them directly. Makes connecting to each of them much easier. You don't have to look up their information each time.

Regards,

Moses

Message 9 of 17
whittle
Guide

Thanks Moses and FURRYe38!

Message 10 of 17
JoeM845
Luminary

I am running an RBK50 in AP mode under fw 2.1.4.10 with a guest network that is set to not let guests see each other. When I wirelessly connect a PC via the guest network I can manage the Netgear GS108 and GS116 switches that should be invisible to a guest. An IP scanner software also sees the deivces on the regular network. I cannot browse into the RBR50 or the RBS50. I cannot browse into other regular network devices that have a web GUI. I have not tried other penetrations of the guest network.

FW 2.1.4.16 is purported to have addressed this problem. It was made available 6/4, but is not yet the public release/update. I have not tried it. See the discussion "Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability".

I was waiting until the new fw hit the regular rlease, but I just noticed a flag on my Orbi home page that says "A new firmware upgrade is available. Click here to get it". This is new. This is big if it also means "Don't click here to not get it"

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 11 of 17
Mozez
Guide

Hi Joe,

I had just manually installed FW 2.1.4.16 on my router when I saw your message. I was aware about the isolation issue with the guest network from the forum topic that you linked. It was less of concern for me since I only enabled the guest network when I have friends over. It's great to have them scan a QR Code to gain access automatically to the guest network if they have an iPhone. 🙂

I did do some basic tests on the guest network with the latest firmware and while it is not a complete isolation, it does seem to offer enough protection (at least for me). When I use the fing app on the guest network, I can only see the IP address of the all the devices but not the type, name or MAC address of those devices. It's totally the opposite from when I am connect to the internal Wi-Fi where all the info are revealed. I also can't connect to my ORBI Router or FIOS Router from the guest network. Neither can the IOS apps, when on the guest network. I can't ping or connect to the hidden shares on my windows file server or print to my printer.

I can however, project contents from my laptop (on guest network) to a Roku TV on the internal network. That was something that I was not expecting. For that scenario, I guess that can be good or bad. So yeah, not perfect but enough segregation for me to still want to continue to use the guest network.

Moses

Message 12 of 17
JoeM845
Luminary

Hi Morez,

I updated to FW 2.1.4.16 today by clicking on the update message on the RBR50 main Web GUI page and then electing to install all automatically. It proceded and completed. The sattelite took a few extra minutes to complete, but it eventually sinced up with no manual intervention.

It seems to be working more-or-less as well as it was prior to the fw upgrade:

1) The Prosafe Plus utility will no longer brieach the guest network wall to let me reconfigure switches (note: Also upgraded to 2.7.2)..

2) My IP scanner tool still shows devices on the main network -- both IP and MAC addresses)

3) A number of devices are missing from the connected devices displays where they used to appear. Sattelite shows 1 device (> zero). I would exoect to see the remaining devices split between the 2 ORBIs.

Message 13 of 17
Mozez
Guide

Hi Joe,

Your observation is the same as mine. Access from the Guest network to devices on main network is blocked even though IP Scanning tools are able to detect them.

I would not worry too much about the distribution of devices between the router and the satellite. They move round with time but in my scenario, about 80% of my 35 wifi devices stay on the router itself. If the wifi coverage of the router is strong enough, the wifi devices wouldn't switch to the satellite unless the difference reaches a threshold. The important thing is that all your devices have good, consistent and fast internet connectivity.

Mozez

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 14 of 17
JoeM845
Luminary

@Mozez wrote:

.... Access from the Guest network to devices on main network is blocked even though IP Scanning tools are able to detect them.  ...

... I would not worry too much about the distribution of devices between the router and the satellite. ...

Mozez

I believe that it is more accurate to say "Some access from the Guest network to devices on main network is blocked."

My concern was not that some devices were showing as attached to the "wrong" Orbi. It was that some deivces were not showing at all. Not a biggie.

Message 15 of 17
Kopol
Aspirant

Are you sure that your guest wifi network is blocked from your main wifi network in the wifi mode?  I was under the impression that you may create two SSID's but the two wifi networks are not on different VLANs.  I don't think any "routing" is taking place between the two wireless networks.  Can someone set me straight, please?

Thanks,

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 16 of 17
JoeM845
Luminary

There is no VLAN capability visible (and probably none hidden) when using the Orbi in AP mode (fw 2.2.1.210). All wireless devices are on the same network segment. Devices on the wireless "guest network" are somewhat isolated from devices on the wireless main network and devices on the wired network. Most types of access are blocked. A guest can discover devices on the main network with IP scanning software.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7