Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Guest network signal stronger than main network

eler100
Initiate

Guest network signal stronger than main network

I have set up my router and satellite and find that the WiFi is stronger on guest network than main network on both 2 4ghz and 5ghz bands. I have confirmed this with WiFi analysis app on mobile. I'm struggling to understand why this is or if I need to change a setting somewhere. Thank you.
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Guest network signal stronger than main network

@eler100 wrote:
I have set up my router and satellite and find that the WiFi is stronger on guest network than main network on both 2 4ghz and 5ghz bands. I have confirmed this with WiFi analysis app on mobile. I'm struggling to understand why this is or if I need to change a setting somewhere. Thank you.

I, also, find this a mystery because the two SSID's are broadcast using the same radios (2.4G and 5G).  You can confirm this by observing the MAC address associated with each SSID.  On my Orbi, the 2.4G and 5G MAC's are identical except for the very last part of the MAC address. 

My Orbi reports the opposite.  Primary stronger than guest, but.....

• They are consistently close to other.  Primary -31 vs.guest -33 on 5G.
  • They change constantly from second to second.

It could be something as simple as the analyzer program checking them at slightly different times. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7