Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

HELP--I know there's a simple solution to this....

redheadin
Aspirant

HELP--I know there's a simple solution to this....

I'm betting someone on here can help. I have had good success with my orbi to this point, we just moved to a new town, and got AT&T into the house. I have everything plugged in properly I've done it a dozen ways, but nothing works. The network that we used in our old place "appears" but you can't connect to it. The signal looks strong, and I believe the sattelite is working, but it's like it's not connecting to the new internet...ideas? My son says it's old tech and we should toss it, but it's a good piece of equipment I'd like to use it if I could...help, please?? Thank you.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: HELP--I know there's a simple solution to this....

@redheadin wrote:

I'm betting someone on here can help. I have had good success with my orbi to this point, we just moved to a new town, and got AT&T into the house. I have everything plugged in properly I've done it a dozen ways, but nothing works. The network that we used in our old place "appears" but you can't connect to it. The signal looks strong, and I believe the sattelite is working, but it's like it's not connecting to the new internet...ideas? My son says it's old tech and we should toss it, but it's a good piece of equipment I'd like to use it if I could...help, please?? Thank you.

There is only one way to connect the Orbi: an ethernet cable from the WAN (yellow) jack on the orbi router to an ethernet jack on the ATT box.  I would leave the satellite powered off until the network connectionis working.

An Orbi WiFi system will provide WiFi without being connected to the internet   When you power up the Orbi WiFi (not cabled to anything), it should broadcast the WiFi signal and you should be able to connect to it.  The device you connect will complain "no internet", but it still should connect.  Start a web browser after connecting and open "http://orbilogin.net".  The Orbi login screen should come up asking for the administrative credentials, "admin" for user name and whatever you have set the admin password to.  (Not the WiFi password.)  This should bring up the Orbi admin web interface.

If this does not work, something is wrong.

Message 2 of 15
redheadin
Aspirant

RIght, I'd hate to think this expensive thing only lasted a year and a half, it just doesn't make sense. So I've tried to do this. It is already plugged in and completely properly and confirmed by several people that it's plugged in right. But whenever I try to get to the old network, it says it can't connect to that, I tried to do something with the original, tried scanning the qr code, I have no idea why it won't work, it' s like it's not talking to the AT&T interface.

Message 3 of 15
redheadin
Aspirant

Also, without being ON the Orbi I can't get onto the orbi network, I put in my admin and password and it comes up, looks like' your'e not connected" which I try to fix but it won't allow me, so I never get anywhere with the online interface. I have tried a couple of the numbered websites they go nowhere at all.

Message 4 of 15
redheadin
Aspirant

Does anyone out there know for sure that orbi will work with AT&T? I assume it would.

Message 5 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@redheadin wrote:

But whenever I try to get to the old network, it says it can't connect to that, I tried to do something with the original, tried scanning the qr code, I have no idea why it won't work, it' s like it's not talking to the AT&T interface.

Sorry, sometimes it's best to double check.  How are you attempting to connect "to the old network."  When you open the network settings on a WiFi device, the WiFi name you are expecting to see is not there?  When the Orbi was in use before, was it configured with a WiFi name different from the name on the product label (bottom of the case)?

Message 6 of 15
redheadin
Aspirant

Yes I changed the name, so the name expected DOES appear, but it's not connected to the internet. It is powered up properly and it's showing up on my selections for wifi, when I go there it says it can't connect or can't login. And then I'm stuck, because everything seems to depend on it's starting up with the hard wire to the new AT&T router. We have unplugged and replugged and given it time in between in a variety of different configurations and sequences.

Message 7 of 15
redheadin
Aspirant

PS THank you for trying to help me. It's very frustrating to hear my kids say throw it away.

Message 8 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@redheadin wrote:

Does anyone out there know for sure that orbi will work with AT&T? I assume it would.

Oh, yes.  Plenty of Orbi's are connected to AT&T.  It might be useful to identify specifically which AT&T service you have. (Apparently there are many).

Message 9 of 15
redheadin
Aspirant

It's an AT&T bgw210 router

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Your modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

https://www.f0il.com/how-to-arris-bgw210-700-modem-router-with-netgear-xr500-router/
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-do-I-setup-bridge-mode-in-the-ARRIS-BGW210-700/m-p/1875994...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Orbi-AX-6000-and-AT-amp-T-fiber-gateway-issue/m-p/1890125/h...

Message 11 of 15
redheadin
Aspirant

THank you for this, it helps because I do think that sometimes on macs some things are getting through and then other websites are being blocked, weird. Anyway, I'm not totally sure how to do what you're suggesting, but will send to my son and see if he's able to help me make this work and will explore online websites you sent along, in hopes one of them might assist as well. If you have more specific step by steps of course that's welcome.

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

For ease of setup, option #3 would be best. 

Message 13 of 15
redheadin
Aspirant

Thanks for sticking with me on this. OK, I go to the website to set it up as an access (tried this earlier) and the second step or third is to log into orbi, of course I can't do that b/c my orbi router is not online eventhough it's plugged into the At&T router.  So I can't get to the admin thing to do anything....so weird. Ideas?

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Look at the modems connected clients list, do you see the RBR listed there at all. If so, there will be an IP address listed. Can you access the RBRs web page with the given IP address in AP mode? 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7