Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Haiku L fan won't connect

davetsla
Aspirant

Haiku L fan won't connect

There was a topic on this before but was marked as solved by downgrading to a 2018 version of firmware. I called Haiku and they said the Orbi system is one of the few wifi systems their fans won't connect to. I can see the fan on my wifi network but it won't keep connection. Any new updates? Thanks.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Haiku L fan won't connect

What firmware is currently loaded? v48 is most current.

You can try to temporarily disable the 5Ghz SSID broadcast, leaving the 2.4Ghz only running to see if the fan will connect. 

@davetsla wrote:

There was a topic on this before but was marked as solved by downgrading to a 2018 version of firmware. I called Haiku and they said the Orbi system is one of the few wifi systems their fans won't connect to. I can see the fan on my wifi network but it won't keep connection. Any new updates? Thanks.

Message 2 of 7
davetsla
Aspirant

Thanks. Sorry, forgot the firmware version. I have the latest .48 firmware. I do have the 5Ghz also being broadcast so can try that.

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@davetsla wrote:

I called Haiku and they said the Orbi system is one of the few wifi systems their fans won't connect to. I can see the fan on my wifi network but it won't keep connection.

These statements appear inconsistent.  (a) "fans won't connect to" and (b) "can see fan on my wifi network".  Not having a Haiku fan to experiment with, I am guessing that the Haiku smartphone app is used to set up the connection and then control the fan.  At what point in the process do things go wrong?  i.e. If the fan appears on the Orbi "Attached Devices" display, how did it get there?

(Not to bad mouth anyone's technical support, but if I had a dollar for every time I got misleading or incomplete information from a help line, I would be owning several Big Ass fans!)

Message 4 of 7
davetsla
Aspirant

Sure. I launch the Haiku app. It has me connect directly to the device's wifi for setup. That works and I can control the fan. I then reconnect to my real Wifi network and open the Haiku Home app again. It shows the fan but says 'not connected'. But it's listed in the devices list on the Orbi.

OK. This is odd. After talking to Haiku tech support and trying the setup process 5 times with same result I posted here. Of course now somehow it's working and nothing changed. Thanks for your help though. Not sure why it's suddenly working but I'll take it. I did reinstall the router firmware manually (reinstalled same version that was already there) so maybe that was it. Thanks.

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

I tend to be a bit snarky, so I would enjoy dropping a note to the Haiku tech support folks, "yes, in fact the Haiku fan DOES work on Orbi (at least on MY Orbi).  Would be helpful if you guys could give positive suggestions instead of saying, 'it doesn't work on Orbi'."

We are all going through nine kinds of Hell getting the Internet of Things to play together.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, give the disable 5Ghz SSID broadcast a try and see if this helps. 

@davetsla wrote:

Thanks. Sorry, forgot the firmware version. I have the latest .48 firmware. I do have the 5Ghz also being broadcast so can try that.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7