Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Have RBK53 system. Get a faster modem or jump to wifi6 750

ShankarHokie
Apprentice

Have RBK53 system. Get a faster modem or jump to wifi6 750

Hello,

I have a netgear CM1100 modem and a RBK53 (?) mesh system.

I got an email that my modem is limiting my speeds to 953 Mbps and to get my subscribed 1.2GBps, I need to upgrade the modem.

My questions are:

1. If I just upgrade the modem, will I be able to get full 1.2Gbps with the RBR50 router or will the speed be downgraded by the older Orbi?
  2. If I get an upgraded modem + router combo, is there a way to use the satellites I already have?
  3. Should I just jump in and get a new Orbi mesh system with wifi6 and modem?  CBK753??

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Both CM and RBK only support 1000Mbps on the WAN and LAN ports so if you subscribe to 1.2 or higher, you'll not ever see those speeds with your current hardware set. You'll need to upgrade the modem and router system that has 2.5Gb WAN and LAN ports to see those speeds. Or go back to a 1Gb speed plan with your ISP service if you keep the current hardware set. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Both CM and RBK only support 1000Mbps on the WAN and LAN ports so if you subscribe to 1.2 or higher, you'll not ever see those speeds with your current hardware set. You'll need to upgrade the modem and router system that has 2.5Gb WAN and LAN ports to see those speeds. Or go back to a 1Gb speed plan with your ISP service if you keep the current hardware set. 

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@ShankarHokie wrote
Should I just jump in and get a new Orbi mesh system with wifi6 and modem?  CBK753??

Netgear's combination cable modem plus WiFi router appear to be a convenient solution. Why have two 'boxes' when one box can provide all functions?  On the other hand, we see posts on the forum from customers who purchased these combinations and then (a) moved and their new location offers only fiber - no cable, or (b) a fiber operator began offering attractive service at their location.  "How do I connect?" they ask.  Well..... you don't.

I would ask, "What do I actually gain from increasing my maximum internet speed 20%?"

• Will television programs stream more smoothly?
  • Will I notice that web pages load significantly  faster?
  • Will my video games play better?

There is only so much bandwidth a typical customer can absorb.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You possibly could see over 1Gb speeds on the CBRs wifi, however the CBRs LAN ports are only 1000Mpbs. 

Message 4 of 8
ShankarHokie
Apprentice

So, if I get a CM2000 modem, will I be able to use the RBR50 and see >1Gbps LAN speed?

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

The the CM2000 has a 2.5Gb WAN port the 50 series is limited by it's 1000Mpbs WAN and LAN ports. So max you'll ever see on the LAN side would be around 900Mpbs. 

Message 6 of 8
ShankarHokie
Apprentice

So, I read up some more. To truly get the 1.2Gb (300 mbps more), I have to replace my modem, router and the 2 network switches (all are gigabit speed) to higher capability and will cost quite a bit of $$$. I guess I am going to stay put with my current setup.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

That would be correct. I spent a few dollars on two 10Gb switches for my network. As time goes on, prices will hopefully get lower. All depends also on our worldly economy as well. 🙄

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7