Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Have an RBS50Y that is stuck in "config sync" status and running wrong firmware

swellvue
Tutor

Have an RBS50Y that is stuck in "config sync" status and running wrong firmware

I have an RBS50Y that is on the wrong firmware version (Pro Mode) and need to get it back to Orbi mode firmware 2.3.5.32 (currently it is running 2.5.2.104).   The status now shows "config sync" and I am unable to update the firmware via online nor am I able to connect to the RBS50Y manually.   Anyone have any clues how I can reset this thing back to the right firmware and/or get out of the "config sync" mode?

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Have an RBS50Y that is stuck in "config sync" status and running wrong firmware

Happen to have the Orbi Pro router? Connect the RBSY to the Pro router long enough to connect it and change the FW to Orbi Mode FW. 

Message 2 of 14
swellvue
Tutor

I for sure do not have a Pro router... any other options?

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with NG support to see how the RBSY can be converted to Orbi or Extender mode. WIth out a LAN port on the unit, and not able to connect it to Orbi pro and send the FW that way, not sure how it can be done by the user. 

@Blanca_O 

Message 4 of 14
swellvue
Tutor

I was finally able to connect to the device enough to reinstall the V2.3.5.32 on the RBS50Y.   Of course, now with the router, RBR50 is updated to V2.5.2.4 and the UI keeps showing update failed for the RBS50Y.    

I really wish Netgear would keep their firmware in sync.

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

The most current version of FW available for RBSY is 

Firmware Version 2.3.5.32 (Orbi Mode for Orbi)
Firmware Version 1.0.0.52 (Extender Mode for Orbi)

There isn't any recent version to match the RBR.

Message 6 of 14
mitomcua
Aspirant

I manually upgraded from 2.3.5.32 to 2.6.1.40 and got the same issue. It got stuck at config sync. Had to downgrade it back to 2.3.5.32 to resolve the issue. But again the UI keeps showing update failed as swellvue mentioned above.

Not sure if anyone else is having the same issue.

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update after loading units up with newer FW?

@mitomcua wrote:

I manually upgraded from 2.3.5.32 to 2.6.1.40 and got the same issue. It got stuck at config sync. Had to downgrade it back to 2.3.5.32 to resolve the issue. But again the UI keeps showing update failed as swellvue mentioned above.

Not sure if anyone else is having the same issue.

Message 8 of 14
mitomcua
Aspirant

I didn't want to factory reset and started from the scratch. It looks like Netgear has recently released V2.6.1.40 which available for both router and satellites including the RBS50Y. I managed to manually updated the router and RBS50Y and everything looked good since.

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad the new FW worked. Enjoy. 

Smiley Wink

@mitomcua wrote:

I didn't want to factory reset and started from the scratch. It looks like Netgear has recently released V2.6.1.40 which available for both router and satellites including the RBS50Y. I managed to manually updated the router and RBS50Y and everything looked good since.

Message 10 of 14
jfgilbert95
Initiate

Got a similar issue where a I got a RBS50Y with FWv2.3.5.32 and The RBR50 and RBS50 both have FW v2.7.0.70.  the RBS50Y will upgrade itself to FW v2.6.2.104 and fall in config sync.  I regularly haveI to downgrade to 2.3.5.32 for it to work. 

I did not find a way to stop the auto update and I am reluctant to upgrade the RBR50 to 2.7.2.104 for fear of not being able to come back to these old versions.

Can you help me?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try a factory reset on the RBSY after it udpates to v104 to see if the config sync resolves? 

Most of the time that is a FW sync issue where the RBR and RBSY is too far appart in FW versions so the RBR and RBS may need to be updated to v104 as well. 

Message 12 of 14
jfgilbert95
Initiate

it worked.  All have FW v104 and I resetted the RBS50Y.  

Thank you!

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@jfgilbert95 wrote:

it worked.  All have FW v104 and I resetted the RBS50Y.  

Thank you!

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7