Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Having connectivity issues with the orbit RBK40

rojo8
Aspirant

Having connectivity issues with the orbit RBK40

I have a Netgear's Modem, Nighthawk X6 been replaced by orbi.  First, their support people on the phone suck (netgear). I spent an hour waiting for someone to answer some questions, I simply wanted to know why the satelite kept disconnecting at about 20-30ft from the router.  And why my wifi speed is 1/4th of what I have available to me with the laptop sitting right next to the orbi.  The fellow asked me to hook up to the modem and then he told me to follow the instructions on how to install the orbi on line and call back.  That's why it sucks. My question, does anyone know how to resolve the issue with the satellite disconnecting? I've moved it from upstairs to downstairs and it still does it. There are three interior walls between the router and satellite none are insulated (I know because I've looked in all three walls).  Next question, Spectrum tested the orbis with a Note9 phone and was able to get only 40-45mbps, he took the orbis off line and installed one of his wifi routers just for grins and his phone downloaded 225mpbs, same server both times approximately same distance from the router.  Any ideas?  or maybe I just have a dud orbi?  Thanks for any help that can be given. By the way, I have firmware V2.1.4.16

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
rojo8
Aspirant

Re: Having connectivity issues with the orbit RBK40

Just to add, my laptop is not new it is about 3years old and my Imac is a 2014 version speed is set at 1000baseT.

Message 2 of 4

@rojo8 wrote:

I have a Netgear's Modem, Nighthawk X6 been replaced by orbi. 

Forgive me, but I am having a hard time unraveling that large slab of words, so i may have missed something. But picking up on the above, I can see lots of room for problems.

When you replace one router with another, you can't just unplug one and replace it with something else. You need to set up the network from scratch. the things on it need to forget their associations with the old kit and create new settings.

You don't say what the modem it, that could also be important, but I would reset that, reset the Orbi and then start the whole network in the right way.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

Perhaps you did that, but as I say I can't work it out from your first message.

The QuickStart guide details the process:

>>>> Orbi RBK40 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support <<<<

What has that got to do with the satellite? Who knows? But your network needs to be properly configured before you can begin to troubleshoot this.  The fact that the ISP's experiments got better speeds is a possible clue that the Orbis may not be correctly configured. I guess that is what the Netgear support people were trying to work out.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7