Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Having trouble with setup (RBK50 and Fios Quantum Gateway)

thickhead
Aspirant

Having trouble with setup (RBK50 and Fios Quantum Gateway)

(My model number is actually RBK50/AC3000 - that wasn't an option from the list)

I am trying to install my system. (I bought it 7 or 8 months ago and my several attempts to install it have all failed.) I was able to successfully turn off my router's wireless networking, connect the orbi router, set up and sync with the satellite, and download the app to my phone. I had previously run a new system setup, but tried to do it again -- only to get an error message that it can't connect to the internet.

So the issue is that the Orbi app on my phone tells me that the internet is offline -- even though my phone is connected to my Orbi and sending/receiving data, and even though I can perform an internet speed test with the app. In the app, the "networking map" shows the internet with a green dot, the router with a green dot, and the satellite with a green dot.

I tried to connect my laptop to the Orbi, and it sees the network and I put in the password, but I get an error message saying that there is no internet.

Any idea of what I am doing wrong? Many thanks in advance.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 14
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@thickhead, there could be an IP conflict due to double-NAT in your setup, both router/Orbi are in Router mode.  Since you've already turned off WiFi on the router, switch Orbi to AP mode.  Please give that a shot and see if it helps.

Message 2 of 14
thickhead
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick reply -- I think you are probably right. I was trying to get to the screen that would let me select the AP option (although I didn't know why -- I was just blindly following instructions), when I ran into the no-internet problem. I was prompted to re-run set up, which I tried to do, but couldn't complete because of the no-internet message. Do you know of another way to switch to AP mode (without using the app)?

Message 3 of 14
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Yes.  Use a desktop PC or a Mac.  If you don't have either, use your web browser on the phone.  Connect to the Orbi wireless SSID.  Once you are connected to Orbi WiFi, try its dns name first, orbilogin.com.  If that doesn't work, try 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.1.1.

Message 4 of 14
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Or click on the link (Orbi AP mode) in my *sig* for video tutorial.

Message 5 of 14
thickhead
Aspirant

Thank you -- I really appreciate your help. (Your video is amazingly informative and very easy to understand!) Unfortunately, I am still stuck. When I try to connect to the orbi wireless SSID, I am told "no internet." (But in my list of networks, the network appears with the label "disconnect," suggesting that I am connected to the network even if the network is not connected to the Internet.) When I go to orbilogin.com, I get the message that says "Looks like you're not connected to your Orbi's WiFi Network" and it won't let me proceed (I followed the troubleshooting instructions and cleared my browsing cache and went back to the page, and still got that message.) I have disconnected my fios router and orbi router, waited a minute, powered on the fios router, waited for it to get fully online, then powered up the orbi router and waited for it to fully power up. Still get the "no internet" message. I tried to run setup again in the app, and get to the end only to find "no internet." There is an advanced setup option, but its only options are "static IP" and "PPPoE" -- I don't understand either of those.   I am sorry to be so inept. 

Message 6 of 14
thickhead
Aspirant

Sorry - meant to add that I tried going to 10.0.0.1 but got an error message saying the site could not be reached. I tried going to 192.168.1.1, and that took me to my verizon fios router.

Message 7 of 14
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@thickhead wrote:

Sorry - meant to add that I tried going to 10.0.0.1 but got an error message saying the site could not be reached. I tried going to 192.168.1.1, and that took me to my verizon fios router.

This is good news that you could reach the fios router via 192.168.1.1.  10.0.0.1 is expected to not work in this case.  Please go to this link on How do I set up my Orbi WiFi System to work with Fios.

Message 8 of 14
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

...just to confirm, please make sure that Fios LAN cable is connected to Orbi yellow WAN (Internet) port.  The other 3 LAN ports are meant for local LAN clients.

Message 9 of 14
thickhead
Aspirant

Thanks -- I've been using that site (those were the instructions that I was "blindly following"). I think at this point, I will have to see if Fios support can help. I appreciate your help!

Message 10 of 14
thickhead
Aspirant

Yes -- appreciate your checking. The ethernet cable goes from Orbi "internet" to fios router LAN. Sigh. I think the answer lies in what you originally said about the conflict -- if I can just find a way to get to the page where I can change the orbi to AP mode, I think the problem would be solved. I'll keep working on it.  Thanks!

Message 11 of 14
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@thickhead, please login into fios box and find out what IP address it assigns to Orbi.  SInce there are only two clients, one is your client and the other is Orbi.  Then point the browser using that IP address.

For example, if the Orbi IP address is 192.168.1.2, then point your browser to it.  You can also use brute force if you can't find out Orbi IP address from Fios.  The Orbi IP address is within this range: 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254.

Message 12 of 14
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Alternately, please disconnect all LAN cables from Orbi, including the WAN port.  Turn off all Satellites.  Use a paper clip to do Factory Reset the Orbi.  Next, connect to Orbi wirelessly.  Orbi should be back to default, Router Mode, which is the same as if it came out of the box for the first time.  Then you should be able to use its dns name, orbilogin.com, for setup, just skip the steps for setting up all the Satellites.  Now you should be able to switch Orbi to AP mode.  Once you are done, turn off Orbi, turn off Fios, connect its WAN port to the Fios, turn on Fios, and finally turn Orbi back on.  Check if you can access the internet via both Orbi LAN and WiFi connections.

Message 13 of 14
thickhead
Aspirant

Thank you - I will try that. I appreciate your patience.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7