Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Help Changing Orbi from AP back to Router (Verizon AP mode to Comcast Router)

SubyBrue
Aspirant

Help Changing Orbi from AP back to Router (Verizon AP mode to Comcast Router)

I have successfully been using my Orbi system (RBK23) in AP mode when I had Verizon and was using their Quantum Gateway (turning off their Wifi and everything going through the Orbi's Wifi in AP mode).

I recently switched to Comcast.   And while using their provided modem everything worked fine while the Orbi was still in AP mode.

I wanted to ditch the Comast rental modem and purchased a Netger CM1150V (Cable Modem with Voice support).    However, I cannot connect to the Orbi when I plug the Orbi into the cable modem.   It still broadcasts a Wifi Signal - however I cannot connect to it (NO INTERNET AVAILABLE is the message I get) and I can't even connect to the Orbi management screen to swap it out of AP mode.

As a temporary fix I've pulled out an 8 year old wifi router and that is allowing me to connect the Orbi still in AP mode.

So do I just need to connect to the Orbi while in AP mode - change it back to Router mode and hope for the best.    I still am a bit annoyed that I can't even connect to the management screen without having internet available to it - and with my luck I'm apprehensive it flipping it to Router mode only to have the entire Orbi system get into a state where I can't connect to it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks...

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Help Changing Orbi from AP back to Router (Verizon AP mode to Comcast Router)

Log into the RBRs web page with a web broswer and navigate to Advanced tab/Advanced Settings/Router_AP mode. Here is where you can select Router mode. Save settings. 

Message 2 of 8
SubyBrue
Aspirant

I realize it must be that simple but is it normal not to get the remote admin to display or even connect when the Orbi can't connect to the internet?

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

When the Orbi is in AP mode, it depends on a router being available to provide IP addresses for itself and every other device.  The new modem is not a DHCP server, so it does not provide IP addresses.  Since you mention "remote admin", are you using a smartphone or tablet to administer the Orbi?

If so, you can open a web browser (not the app) on your WiFi device and connect to "orbilogin.net".  The Orbi WiFi is set up to look for that request and connect to the Orbi itself.  Then, you can enter the login information, "admin" and the administrative password.  Navigate to the Advanced Tab->Advanced Setup-> Router/AP mode.  Make the change and the modem will restart and work great.

You are never "locked out".  You can always perform a "factory reset" and the Orbi will be ready for a fresh setup.

Message 4 of 8
SubyBrue
Aspirant

Yes I am trying to go to Orbilogin.net from a laptop computer (not the app).  Either way I cannot get into the management console to make this flip. The SSID is broadcasting but will not allow me to connect to the console (on my laptop and iPad is says "no internet" under the SSID connection name.   Web app won't let me do squat on the iPad and laptop takes me to a page saying it cannot connect. 

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry you are going through this.  One thing is "guaranteed to work".  Perform a "factory reset" on the Orbi.  Stick the end of a paperclip into the tiny "reset" hole next to the power plug and hold it until the power LED turns amber and then begins to blink.  This resets the Orbi to the way "it came out of the box."  It will be in router mode and ready for configuration.  The laptop with an ethernet cord can be connected to the router.  Open a browser and connect to http://192.168.1.1.  The login is "admin" and "password".

For most of us, a factory reset is a dreaded "last resort" because we have spend so much time customizing the Orbi router functions: IP assignments, names of devices, VPN, etc.  When the Orbi is in AP mode, a lot of that activity takes place on the router, so you may not have lost much work.

Good Luck!

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi doesnt' have to be conencted to the internet. As suggested, do the reset and point your web browser to 192.168.1.1. You'll get the web page every time. 

@SubyBrue wrote:

Yes I am trying to go to Orbilogin.net from a laptop computer (not the app).  Either way I cannot get into the management console to make this flip. The SSID is broadcasting but will not allow me to connect to the console (on my laptop and iPad is says "no internet" under the SSID connection name.   Web app won't let me do squat on the iPad and laptop takes me to a page saying it cannot connect. 

Message 7 of 8

@SubyBrue wrote:

Yes I am trying to go to Orbilogin.net from a laptop computer (not the app).

In AP mode Orbilogin.net won't work.

If you can login to your router and look at the "attached devices" you should be able to find the IP address of your Orbi device. (There are other ways of finding the IP address, including looking at the local wifi clients.) Then use a browser to connect to that IP address. That will bring up the graphical user interface (GUI).

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7