Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help please - Installing my neighbors Orbi rbs50v2 and the 2.4g is used over the 5g

Drosenth
Follower

Help please - Installing my neighbors Orbi rbs50v2 and the 2.4g is used over the 5g

Hello,

I have been using an rbs50 for multiple years, and I too had this issue in the past.   To ensure that Orbi will try and use the 5g over the 2.4g, I disabled "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence" and this helps my apple devices "stick" with the 5g speed.  Since we can't split these into different SSIDs (what a HORRIBLE implementation), his phones start with 5g and shift to 2.4g.  Satellites are solid, connecting at 5ghzj, so the backhaul network is fine.

My thought is:  In advanced --> Advanced Setup --> wireless settings --> Transmit Power Control can I set this to the minimum (25%) hoping that this will have his devices continue to prefer and stick with the 5g signal?  And what about the Preamble mode - is there a way to make this less preferred as well (I hope you understand what I mean - kinda challenging to describe).  

I really wish I could disable 2.4g all together as he doesn't have a single legacy device (and if he did, we can manage this with his old WAP).

Help, and if Netgear is listening, PLEASE consider opening up the telnet option again AND/OR give us a way to split the SSIDs between 5g and 2.4g.  I told him his experience would be off the chart, and since it always connects at the slower speed, it is horrible.

Thanks for any help,

DaveR

Note - His firmware is current, and device came out of the box today.

Message 1 of 2
ekhalil
Master

Re: Help please - Installing my neighbors Orbi rbs50v2 and the 2.4g is used over the 5g

My experience with Apple devices -at least the new devices- is that they support all roaming standards and therefore will never stick to a band. Those devices will always measure the signal strenghts of available bands and switch to the better band. So if it chooses the 2.4 GHz band then that means that the 5 GHz band was found bad. Try to move aound a bit and wait and it will for sure switch to the other band.

Yes, reducing the band's tranmit power will reduce the chance to connect to the band, I don't think that preamble mode will have any impact in this matter.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7