Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Help with Asus Compatibility and Orbi

Bing-Stroller
Luminary

Help with Asus Compatibility and Orbi

Hi,

I am seriously considering adding an Asus router to my setup for various reasons and after reading countless reviews I have narrowed it down to the following 3:

ASUS RT-AC68U AC1900 Dual Band

ASUS RT-AC87U AC2400 Dual Band

ASUS RT-AC3200 Tri-Band

So my question is:

Is anyone running any of these with an Orbi or have any experience of them that would help with the decision of choice. 

TIA

Billy

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7

what is the reason for the asus router ?

yes you can run the orbi in ap mode as wifi only and run a router in front of it with its wifi disabled

but if you want a better router get a specific router something like a ubiquiti edge router

the asus wifi wont play nice with the orbi

Message 2 of 7
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

To clarify,

The Asus would be in router mode with WiFi turned off and the Orbi in AP mode with WiFi on.

Message 3 of 7

sure that works fine , its actually how i run my orbi as i depend on the aiprotect etc of the asus

as far as which asus , avoid the 87u as its problematic , and you dont reallyneed a tri band router in the rt3200ac , the rt-ac68u is ok but router wise i would be aiming at the fastest cpu and most ram you can afford , perhaps look at the rt-ac3100 or rt-ac86u if you can afford them

or as i said look at a dedicated none wireless router like a ubiquiti edge or micrtik router

Message 4 of 7
st_shaw
Master

One of the best router values at the moment is the Mikrotik RB750Gr3. It's <$60, is more powerful than any Ubiquiti router less than $350, and works great with my Orbi.  Configuration is nothing like a Netgear or ASUS router though, and could be a field of study in itself.

Message 5 of 7
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

Thanks Guys,

@st_shaw the Mikrotik looks an amazing bit of kit (especially at around £45.00) and perhaps a few years ago I would have taken it on as a project. Unfortunately it's not something that I am in a position to devote the time I think it would need to do it justice at this time.

@peteytesting The Aiprotect was one of the many features that was drawing me to the Asus.

I see your point on the tri band and had picked up a few bits about the 87u so can also rule those two out.

Hadn't really spent a lot of time looking at the 86u (relatively new so obviously no long term reviews, but with Asus track record maybe not so much of a problem as the specs are there).

I can see your point re cpu and ram and I think that's the way to go.. 

So really it's worth taking a closer look at the 86u and trying to get it for a good price.

Cheers

Message 6 of 7
j1n
Apprentice
Apprentice

After using the Orbi system for six months and talking with others in the Netgear Community, I’ve decided to try out using the Asus RT-AC86U Router in front of the Orbi System (I have the Orbi RBK50 + 2 sattelites and also the Outdoor Orbi satellite (RBS50Y). It sounds like you just put the Orbi system in AP mode and run the Asus router with the Wi-Fi disabled. Did you try this setup? If so, how is it working and also do you have any tips that you learned while using this setup? Thanks! Jason
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7