Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Hidden SSID

Chautzu
Aspirant

Hidden SSID

I have found how to hide the SSID on the Orbi Router but can't seem to find anyway to do the same for the Satellite. Does anyone know a way to stop the broadcast of the SSID from the Satellite itself as I can see from its web GUI that it is enabled on it and of course can see it with my devices when scanning. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Chautzu

Disabling the SSID broadcast should do this on both units I will have to look into this issue.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 5

just for reference hiding ssid is nether a security measure nor is it a wise move in wifi terms , it has been long known that hiding ssid doesnt do anything as most will still see the transmission and believe it or not prob want to hack it more because it is hidden just to see why its hidden

hiding the ssid also causes connectivity issue with some clients and so is not recommended

and just to emphasise the point

see

The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN

http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-six-dumbest-ways-to-secure-a-wireless-lan/

hiding ssid is right up there with mac address filtering as prob the worst things to do in a wlan enviornment

Message 3 of 5
Chautzu
Aspirant

Wait a hot second! Hiding the SSID isn’t the best way to secure my retail store bought common everyday residential wireless system? Get right out of town! Why did you bother typing that unhelpful smart butt response to my devices issue...? Let me guess you read a computer blog or maybe you took an A+ class and are always looking for any way to feel superior over a potential technologically uneducated individual. Your response was not helpful and wasted time I could have spent trying to finish getting my G.E.D....Pffft!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 4 of 5

@Chautzu wrote:

Wait a hot second! Hiding the SSID isn’t the best way to secure my retail store bought common everyday residential wireless system? Get right out of town!  

correct

@Chautzu wrote:

Why did you bother typing that unhelpful smart butt response to my devices issue...? Let me guess you read a computer blog or maybe you took an A+ class and are always looking for any way to feel superior over a potential technologically uneducated individual. Your response was not helpful and wasted time I could have spent trying to finish getting my G.E.D....Pffft!

correct , did you even bother reading the link , hiding ssid is useless 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7