Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I get the Satellite to switch to the wired connection?

rc_gamer
Aspirant

Hello,

I am running:

• RBR50 Base Station (with Firmware V2.5.1.16)
    • Set as an Access Point (AP Mode)
  • 1 Satellite
  • 1 NETGEAR Unmanaged Switch
  • 1 Firewall (and ISP Modem)

I initially setup my Satellite with the WiFi connected to the Base Station.  And it works well.

A couple of days back I wired the Satellite into the network and I disabled the Daisy-Chain Topology.

I have reset the sync and rebooted both devices (several times) but the Satellite will not connect using the wired connection.

I have verified the wire/network is good. The network is using a single NETGEAR unmanaged switch. So, Base Station -> Unmanaged Switch -> Satellite.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: How do I get the Satellite to switch to the wired connection?

@rc_gamer wrote:

There should be no need to "resync" or "reset" either the router or the satellite.  Nor is it necessary to disable Daisy Chain.  Having only one satellite, Daisy Chain is unnecessary and can be disabled, but it does not have to be disabled for ethernet backhaul to work.

It is either (a) the cable or (b) the switch.

How about this:  Temporarily move the satellite to the same room as the router.  Allow them to sync over WiFi (blue light).  Then, connect the satellite directly to a router LAN port using an ethernet patch cable.  The change over is not instant.  (5 minutes?)

After verifying that the satellite will switch to ethernet backhaul, add the switch.  (router->patch cable->switch->patch cable->satellite).

If this fails, "it's the switch".  If this works, "uh, oh. the cable."

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@rc_gamer wrote:

There should be no need to "resync" or "reset" either the router or the satellite.  Nor is it necessary to disable Daisy Chain.  Having only one satellite, Daisy Chain is unnecessary and can be disabled, but it does not have to be disabled for ethernet backhaul to work.

It is either (a) the cable or (b) the switch.

How about this:  Temporarily move the satellite to the same room as the router.  Allow them to sync over WiFi (blue light).  Then, connect the satellite directly to a router LAN port using an ethernet patch cable.  The change over is not instant.  (5 minutes?)

After verifying that the satellite will switch to ethernet backhaul, add the switch.  (router->patch cable->switch->patch cable->satellite).

Message 2 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

Since you say, unless I misunderstood, you reset the satellite, did you re-configure it back to the router? 

If you are unsuccessful, unplug the network cable to the satellite and reset it, Then pair it back to your system.

Message 3 of 5
rc_gamer
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

@rc_gamer wrote:

I did a bunch of testing like you suggested and you are correct. It was a cable issue. A "length" of the cable issue.

The 100ft cable between the satellite and the first switch was a bit too much for my older GS116.  So, I plugged-in the long cable to a GS105E and then plugged-in the GS105E into the GS116 and everything is working.

Thank you!

Here is what I tested:

• Plugged-in the satellite into the base; and it worked
  • Plugged-in the satellite and the base into the same switch (GS116); and it worked
  • Plugged-in the satellite into a switch (GS116) and the base into a different switch (GS108) and then plugged the switches together; and it worked
  • Repeated the double switch test with a 100ft cable between the satellite and the first switch (GS116) and it FAILED!
  • Added a third switch (GS105E) and it worked

The result is: satellite > 100ft cable >GS105E > GS116 > GS108 > base.  And it is working great.

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

A 100ft cable length should not be an issue. Bad connections are more likely to cause problems. BUT... IT'S WORKING. Time to move on to the next problem!
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7