Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to Enable Access to Devices with Orbi Setup as an AP Behind AT&T BGW210

mtschirret
Aspirant

How to Enable Access to Devices with Orbi Setup as an AP Behind AT&T BGW210

Hi all--first post. i have an Orbi RBR50 setup as an access point behind my AT&T Gigapower BGW210 combo router/modem. I have both radios turned off on the AT&T, and the network works great connecting to the Orbi. The issue is that I need to be able to limit my son's access to the internet and would like to do so via the Orbi app (device access can be paused/resumed), but that option is "greyed out" for all devices. When I had TWC, I could use this feature.

I am assuming this is becaise the Orbi is acting as an AP and not router, but is there a way to get usage of those controls back? The same applies for the Disney Circle app--I cannot use it. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thank You,

Michael Tschirret

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You will need to switch from AP mode back to Router Mode to use those features. You can and it will continue to work, however since you have a router already before the Orbi, you'll need to set up an IP address reservation that the Orbi router gets from the ISP modem on the modem. Then input this IP address into the Modems DMZ. Save settings and reboot both modem and Orbi router. Then you'll have access to the grayed out features.

Message 2 of 6
mtschirret
Aspirant

Thank you very much. I hate to ask, but how do I set up an IP address reservation that the Orbi router gets from the ISP modem on the modem, then input this IP address into the modem's DMZ? I have a setting for "Cascaded router", which is set to "on", and I input the Orbi's IP address. It is also asking for the Network Address that defines the range of IP addresses available to clients of the cascaded router. The subnet mask is filled in. Am I in the right place? If so, what should I use for the network address?

Again, my thanks.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

The IP address reservation is done ON the modem, not the Orbi router. Set a IP address reservation that the modem gives to the Orbi router ON the modem. You'll need to log into the modems web page and do this here. Along with using the DMZ for this IP address.

Message 4 of 6
mtschirret
Aspirant

That is what I am doing on the AT&T router, but I don't see anything about "DMZ". I found the Orbi's IP address and used that; but do not know what to assign for the network address...

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to ask your ISP about DMZ on this model modem. See if you can find any user manual for it and see if there is anything about DMZ. DMZ is usually found under or near Firewall settings if this modem has any such features.

Network address assign as the IP address reservation for the Orbi.

We don't know the lay out of the ISP modem so features and locations will be different. I would contact the ISP and have them help you with this modem. They should know the lay out and how to get this configured.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7