Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

How to enable Telnet

How to enable Telnet

PIMM
Guide

How to enable Telnet

I need to disable the 5ghz radio temporarily.  How can we enable Telnet now that the option has been erased from the Debug screen?  Anyone know?  

I don't need to know how to turn down transmit power, walk out of range etc.

RBR50 Firmware V2.7.3.22

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How to enable Telnet

Telnet is not needed.

Netgear provides a simple mechanism to accomplish this. The Orbi RBR50 has a feature which many users have found allows them to set up devices which require the smartphone to be attached to WiFi at 2.4G:
Connect a device with a large screen to the Orbi web interface, http://orbilogin.net
(computer, laptop, tablet)
The user name is "admin" and the password is the web interface password, not the Orbi 'app' password.
Navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings (at the bottom), Wireless Settings.
On the Advanced Wireless Settings page, uncheck the box under Advanced 5G Settings that reads
Enable SSID Broadcast
Click Apply
The router will go through a cycle which takes foreeeeeeeever.
On the smart phone, go into Network settings.
"Forget" the Orbi WiFi.
Search for available WiFi systems.
Select the Orbi WiFi
Enter the password and Connect
The smartphone is now connected to the Orbi at 2.4G
Note that if you attempt to "double check" by opening the Orbi Attached Devices page, that page takes several minutes to update.
Just go with it.
Open the device smartphone app and go through the setup process.
After the device is connected and working, undo the process.
On the web interface, check the box and click Apply
On the smartphone, Forget the Orbi, find it again, and connect again.
This takes less time to do than to read. It has worked for me several times.

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 11
PIMM
Guide

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  I am happy that this has worked for you. It does not work for me.  A recent Ipad or iphone latches on to the 2.4ghz network then flips to 5ghz as soon as it senses its availability. Just because the 5ghz SSID is not transmitted, it does not mean that the networks are not meshed. 

Does anyone have an actual solution or should we stop buying Orbis?

Message 3 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Would you mind sharing which device setup has ppprompted this need?
Message 4 of 11
PIMM
Guide

Of course and thank you for your interest.  I have an RBR50... and 3 satellites. Firmware as in my first post. I am trying to connect up a dozen Neo V1 Heatmiser Thermostats which only recognise 2.4Ghz and demand any mobile device running the Heatmiser app to be on the same radio frequency.  I have any number of recent Apple mobile devices and Macs from which to choose but the Heatmiser App is only available on IOS. 

Thank you once again.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to turn OFF the RBS and work only with the RBR. If you leave the RBS on then the device could connect to one of the other 5Ghz signals. 

Message 6 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

There is a Python3 script called telnet-enable2.py that works on V2. 7.3.22, at least on Windows and Linux. I have never turned off an Orbi radio. Some devices, such as windows, have network settings to lock WiFi to 2.4G. (or 5G) OS being the spawn of Satan, it may not allow user control of the WiFi settings.
Message 7 of 11
PIMM
Guide

CrimpOn Sensei 🙂 

You have put your finger on the source of pain. I have the perfect trifecta of pain. IOT devices that are supposed to be universally compatible - i.e., 2.4ghz, an Orbi and IOS devices for control. To stand any chance  I would have to jailbreak a new IOS device (a pain at the best of times) to mess with the receiver frequency settings.

DO you know for certain that the python script still works?  If so I can buy a old Windows POS somewhere and do it that way.  Then I have to hope that the telnet script for the radios still works. 

Message 8 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

I used it a couple of weeks ago. MacOS should support Python3
Message 9 of 11
PIMM
Guide

I will give it a go and revert.  My thanks.

Message 10 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Reverting is tricky because V2. 7.3.22 will auto-update. If your telnet commands do not work on V2. 7.3.22, there are tips in this guide that may help if you choose to load earlier firmware. https://www.dropbox.com/s/se94mxcfzhpmi1o/Prevent%20Orbi%20from%20Updating.pdf?dl=0
Message 11 of 11