Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to restrict Guest network to 2.4 Ghz?

ChuckMoose
Aspirant

How to restrict Guest network to 2.4 Ghz?

I would like to create a Guest network with 2.4 GHz band ONLY. This is to allow products from WYZE to connect (cameras, power switches, robot vacuum cleaner). (With a tri-band network, they fail to connect. They use 2.4 ONLY.)

Can this be done with the Orbi RBR750?? If yes, how?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How to restrict Guest network to 2.4 Ghz?

IF these devices are only 2.4Ghz, then they will never see 5Ghz ever. 

theres no way to specify either frequency on Orbi Systems. 

Orbi 9 series has a specific 2.4Ghz only radio that you can configure. 

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you

Message 2 of 13
schumaku
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

IF these devices are only 2.4Ghz, then they will never see 5Ghz ever.

Correct - these devices can't even know if there is a 5 GHz or soon a 6 GHz radio is on-air, too - so these can't care abut. 

@ChuckMoose Do we face the situation that we have a WYZE discovery app still insisting to be connected to the 2.4 GHz band - even if the same SSID is in use for all bands, the the wireless clients prefer 5 GHz for many good reasons? Then I would suggest to talk to the maker of these products. Look, you can tune to an FM station even if the same station is on SirusXM, short wave, .... 

Message 3 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

I have three Wyze cameras connected to my (older) Orbi.  Opened Wyze app. Selected Orbi WiFi SSID. Entered password.  App created QR code that the camera looked at, and... On Line.  After the first camera, the app remembered credentials and it went even faster.

Also have Wyze plug that set up easily.

With Wyze:

• There is no need to create a special 2.4G only WiFi.
  • The Wyze app works fine on Orbi.

Is the question in anticipation of a problem, or because  of a problem?

Message 4 of 13
ChuckMoose
Aspirant

Because of a problem. I have 9 WYZE cams working, and a Robo vacuum that required me to set up a 'secured' guest network (with password). Now two WYZE walk outlet/switches don't work because this year they require (I'm told by the WYZE Wizards) 2.4 Ghz-only networks. Am I getting a WYZE runaround? The sockets worked last holiday season to control the wreath spotlights, etc. 

Message 5 of 13
ChuckMoose
Aspirant

I've talked with the WYZE support "wizards". I'm getting the same runaround each time.

Message 6 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@ChuckMoose wrote:

Because of a problem. I have 9 WYZE cams working, and a Robo vacuum that required me to set up a 'secured' guest network (with password). Now two WYZE walk outlet/switches don't work because this year they require (I'm told by the WYZE Wizards) 2.4 Ghz-only networks. Am I getting a WYZE runaround? The sockets worked last holiday season to control the wreath spotlights, etc. 

This sounds like a trainee who is making the same beginner mistakes that many users do, "Requires 2.4G" does not mean the same as "Will not work if there is AM Radio, 5G WiFi, Sun Spots, or... anything else around).  It just means the device can detect and connect only to 2.4G WiFi, and Orbi provides 2.4G WiFi, just as it did last year.

When there were so many questions about smart plugs, every time someone said one wouldn't work, I bought one from Amazon and tried it.  I can get my Wyze plugs out and hook them up again.

Are you using the indoor or outdoor Wyze plug?  Amazon says it will take until Dec 21 for me to get one of those.  (Honestly, I cannot imagine the indoor and outdoor products having different electronics.)

Maybe it would help to provide more detail about the problem.

For example, were the Wyze plugs simply put away until this season, and not 'reset'?

Has the WiFi SSID/password changed since last season?  (Every time I upgrade WiFi, I give the new system exactly the same SSID/password as the one being replaced. Avoids having to go around and reconfigure my devices. Plus, I can "go back' just by plugging in the old WiFi router.)

Message 7 of 13
ChuckMoose
Aspirant

It's two successive WYZE 'trainees' who are making the same mistake, and telling me the devices require a 'secured (password-protected) 2.4 GHz network. I'd already set one up to accommodate their robot vacuum I bought this summer.

My two 'indoor' plugs both worked last year (to control holiday lights) before summer lightning took out my (unsecured) Apple Time Capsule router; now I have a new Orbi RBR750 Mesh system. The two WYZE plugs wouldn't re-connect this December (looking for a formerly unsecured and since renamed network). So I've been trying to re-set them up, afresh.

The WYZE wizard even suggested I move farther away from my router so their device would choose the (then) stronger 2.4 signal over the other bands. (Didn't work.)

My nine WYZE cams all work, although some are flaky and occasionally lose connection. 

I appreciate this discussion and speculation. I'm thinking WYZE staff coders (and tech support) need help.

Message 8 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

This is fun.  Got out my box of two Wyze plugs and removed them from the Wyze app.  (I never got around to deleting them from the app after I got them to work.)

Plugged into the wall in the same room with my Orbi router blasting 2.4G and 5G at 100% power. Held button down for 5 seconds (or more) until LED began to flash blue.  Learned some things:

• I have the original Wyze plug, model WLPP1.
  • There is a newer model that is set up using Bluetooth. Apparently has a 'key' symbol on the back.  (No idea why a 'key' is associated with Bluetooth.)  Personally, I much prefer devices which set up using Bluetooth. Both 2.4G WiFi and 2.4G Bluetooth use the same radio chip, so there is no extra hardware cost.  Avoids the entire "which G is your WiFi" discussion and the need to connect to a Wyze plug access point.  (Did the Wizard ask which model you have?)  Now I have two things to buy from Wyze (outdoor plug and 'new' indoor plug)
  • After searching for several minutes (an eternity), the Wyze app finally asked which model of plug I have, and I selected the "Classic".  Why not ask up front?
    (One would think that after a Bluetooth search failed to find a new Wyze product, the app would try WiFi on its own.)
  • The Wyze app asked me to connect to the Wyze plug WiFi.  This is definitely the weak link in the Wyze app.  On both plugs, my Android phone grumbled about the Wyze WiFi not having internet access and I did not realize I was supposed to click the box "Don't ask about this again" and then "Yes" to stay connected.  In other words, it took several tries to get connected (for both plugs).  I kept getting to that step and being forced to start over.  Just was not intuitive to me.
  • Once connected, I got to 'name' the plugs and it announced there is new software, which got updated.
  • Both plugs turn on/off using the app the way they should.
  • Both appear on the Orbi list of Attached Devices.  (Did not check the app Connected Devices.  I prefer the security of 'Attached' rather than the false exclusivity of 'Connected'.)

I should point out that my smartphone running the Wyze app was actually connected to the Orbi Guest WiFi, rather than the primary WiFi.  When the app asked me to select a network for the plugs, I chose the primary WiFi SSID and entered the password.  So, this is not a case of the app refusing to connect because the smartphone is (a) connected at 5G or (b) not connected to the primary WiFi.

Bottom Line: Wyze Classic Plug connects to Orbi without doing anything to the Orbi, but is somewhat of a pain in the rear compared to setup of some other plugs.  No changing power levels. No walking around.  Just perservence.

Although I find Wyze a fascinating company, LOVE the price/performance of their cameras, and ENJOY the scale, I was not impressed with the Wyze app for adding these first generation smart plugs.  My personal choice of smart plugs is TP-Link KASA.  At some point, I need to purge my phone of all the random smart plug apps that have been installed over the past two years as I tested plugs. (to do list grows).

Message 9 of 13
ChuckMoose
Aspirant

Hi CrimpOn,

I'm encouraged, but not yet successful. I am convinced the problem is with WYZE, not NetGear.

I too have two of the 'older' plugs. (I wonder if the 2021 model works any better.) One of my plugs did, mysteriously, see the wifi coming from the plug and get set up. The other refuses to see/find the "WYZE-smart plug-apxxx" network from the plug. I never see the grumble/don't ask/yes exchange opportunity. This (second) plug never seems to emit its own SSID for me to choose.

I wonder if there is some way to direct WYZE wizards or execs to see and read this NetGear Community exchange?

BTW, their Robo vacuum is equal;ly difficult. I wonder why they insist on a password-secured network?

Meaqnwhile, the manual button on the plug works as a switch to turn off my Christmas lights. 

Message 10 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

I flailed around trying to follow the app steps.  What finally seemed to work was

• Ignore the Wyze app box about "Go to WiFi Settings" and open the Network settings by myself.
  • After selecting the Wyze WiFi in Network Settings, wait for the phone to complain about "No network", click on the check box "Do not ask about this again", then click on "Yes".
  • Go back to the Wyze app.

Inexpensive entertainment.  Would you rather be babysitting a two year old?

Message 11 of 13
ChuckMoose
Aspirant

I WOULD rather babysit a 2 year old than deal with WYZE support, but I will give them one more try and ask to be "escalated" to someone who understands that their plug should work with Orbi.

I flailed some more and failed, and now my one plug that DID eventually reconnect with the network has self-disconnected. So that string of LED lights will now be on all of the time. (The plug is outdoors but protected from weather, where it worked all last winter.) I appreciate your persistence, and I'll let you know if I ever re-succeed to use my first-gen WYZE indoor plugs again.

Message 12 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Compared to TP-Link, I found the Wyze setup process for smart plugs frustrating and annoying.  Wyze cameras, on the other hand, do fine for me.

Have started looking for the V2 smart plugs and not getting very far.  The Wyze web site is not specific about what is in that box of two plugs for $14.95.  Are they V1 or V2?  Amazon's web site information is suspect.  Damn.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7