Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to setup an Orbi system with Sky fibre broadband

Daniel-UK
Apprentice

How to setup an Orbi system with Sky fibre broadband

Scenario 1) Using the modem/router provided by Sky that does NOT have brigde mode.

==> Using Orbi in router model will create a dual NAT problem. Using Orbi in AP mode will loose functionalities (e.g. parental control).

Is anyone aware of any option in this scenario?

From an old post from FURRYe38 I see

'configure the modem DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.' 

but I am not sure HOW to get this done.

Scenario 2) Using your own modem (e.g. draytek vigor 130).

==> You would need Orbi to support DHCP option 61 (MER). Unfortunately despite the RBK53 is very expensive this is NOT provided by Netgear (and despite requests from the users they are not adding this functionality that is available in lower-end Netgear devices).

Is anyone aware of any workaround in this scenario?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
Mstrbig
Master

The double NAT scare is very overrated. We have many installs where customers want 2 entireley different network setups with no issues ever. There may be issues with gaming devices not connecting to their game servers. But there are work arounds for that as well.

I would set your Orbi up as a router, (yes double NAT) and then test if you have any issues with devices. If not, you are good to go. If so you can change back to AP mode. 

If you wanted to change out your ISP modem/router, you would have to contact your ISP to find a list of compatible modems.

Message 2 of 7
Daniel-UK
Apprentice

Thanks @Mstrbig for your answer although it doesn't look like you are familiar with Sky or other UK ISPs. None of them provide a list of recommended modems although they are now forced by OFCOM to allow other modems.

I currently have the double NAT that is generally ok but it does cause some problems - and I am trying to avoid having the Orbi in AP mode.

In regard to scenario 1) are you aware of any other solution or how to implement what suggested by @FURRYe38  'to configure the Sky modem DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem' ?

In regard to scenario 2) I have now also a modem that works well with Sky (DrayTek Vigor 130) BUT I need a router that support DHCP 61 and it seems that Orbi does NOT 😞

However I can see in Basic --> Internet the following options:

DHCP Option
Vendor Class Identifier String (Option 60):
Client Identifier String (Option 61):

Does anyone know if that could then work with Sky and what should I put there and also in the other configuration settings in that page?

Many thanks

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Check the modems Mfrs support pages or user manual on how to use there DMZ or IP-Passthru features on there modems. This will help with the double NAT with the Orbi RBR in router mode connected to a up stream router. 

Message 4 of 7
Mstrbig
Master

@Daniel-UK wrote:

Thanks @Mstrbig for your answer although it doesn't look like you are familiar with Sky or other UK ISPs. None of them provide a list of recommended modems although they are now forced by OFCOM to allow other modems.

You are correct, I'm not very familiar with Sky. However, I find many 3rd party modems and modem/routers that have been reported to work fine with Sky broadband networks system, following instructions for adding mac address, username and password, etc.

A simple internet search turned up several that would fit your needs as well as tutorials and videos on how to setup TP-Link and other brands of routers, using skypass for the modifications, (http://www.ph-mb.com/products/sky-calc).  This should allow you to set it up so your Orbi can be in router mode. I cannot guarantee any information as I have no way to test.

Message 5 of 7
Daniel-UK
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 Sky Modem doesn't have the option for IP Passthrough. The DrayTek Vigor 130 has. 

@Mstrbig you are absolutely right, there is plenty of documentation for many routers... except for the Orbi!

Hence why I am trying to ask for help to this specific community and in particular

1) does Orbi have DHCP 61 support?

From this post does not seem so https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/DHCP-Option-61-Client-ID/td-p/1918773

BUT from what I can see from the orbi configuration --> Basic --> Internet

as I posted earlier I can see "DHCP Option" Client Identifier String (Option 61):

so it does seem that now there is?!?

And looking at https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/sky-fibre-setup-guide I am clear that in that field I need to put a string such as "aabbcc123456@skydsl|aabbccdd" where the first part is the MAC and the last is a pwd of my choice (this is the ONLY thing well documented over the internet altough not specific for the Orbi).

2) how should I configure all the other settings to work correctly with Sky Fibre? 

Does your Internet connection require a login? I can guess it is Yes and then PPPoE. Then, should I put any credentials?

Internet IP address --> Get Dynamically

DNS --> automatically?

Router MAC?

Should I add any "VLAN ID Configuration"?

3) is there anyone out there that actually succeded in configuring Orbi as a primary router for Sky Fibre?

Many thanks in advance!

Message 6 of 7
Haines17
Aspirant

so i believe the right set up would be no to require a login

then you can set anything at all in the username and password field for the option 61, as long as the character length, @skydsl and pipe | are there and in the right places.

this is from much frowning at the internet, then a purchase of a Nighthawk R1000 only to learn it not had the 61 option released into its Duma os FW yet, but the 500 has! hope it helps you! im interested in this too as am sending the hawk back as not waiting months for a release of FW, so may plumb for the Orbi instead if it works.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7