Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to ugrade an RBS50 if it is not connected to the router?

felho
Tutor

How to ugrade an RBS50 if it is not connected to the router?

Hi,

I have an RBR50 and RBS50. For some reason, the satellite can't connect to the router. 

I tried to do a factory reset on both devices; I went through the setup process driven by the mobile application. But still, the satellite can't connect. After the sync process, it shows blue but doesn't connect to the router.

I thought one option could be a firmware upgrade on it, but I don't know how to do it without the app. Is this possible?

TIA!

Take care,

Felhő

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: How to ugrade an RBS50 if it is not connected to the router?

How do you know its not syncing?

Usually if the satellite is blue, it sync'd. 

What do the LEDs on my Orbi router and satellite mean? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 8
felho
Tutor

Thank you very much for the prompt answer. The mobile app shows that zero satellite is connected to the router. Also, in the area where the satellite is, the wifi is very weak versus being close to the router. As an experiment, I moved the satellite next to the router, but they didn't connect even in that setup.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Try logging in through browser and checking its connection. 

I'm not very trustful of the app and when it has a blue light, it usually means it sync'd successfully. 

Message 4 of 8
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello felho,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are having issues with syncing your RBS50 to your Orbi router. This issue can be caused by the satellites having different FW versions installed than your router. Please try upgrading the FW on your satellite then sync it to your existing Obri Mesh System.

Please navigate to the link below for the current version of FW for your satellite:

Orbi RBK53 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support

Navigate to the link below for step-by-step instructions on how to update the FW on your Orbi satellites:

How do I check and manually update the firmware on my Orbi satellite? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

(Please note a factory reset after the FW upgrade may be required.)

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@plemans wrote:

Try logging in through browser and checking its connection. 

I'm not very trustful of the app and when it has a blue light, it usually means it sync'd successfully. 

I agree with @plemans .  An RBS50 displaying a blue ring light for a minute or so is a definite sign of "connection."

To determine what is going on, opening the Orbi web interface with a web browser is a great first step:

• Connect a device with a fairly large screen to the Orbi router.  (Tiny smartphone screens are not very 'user friendly' with the web management.) Computer, laptop. or tablet would be much better.  The connection can be with an Ethernet cable or over WiFi.
  • Open the web management system using a web browser.( http://orbilogin.net )
  • Enter the router credentials, "admin" and the administrative password.  (Not the password used for the Orbi 'app' or for the WiFi connection).
  • Navigate to the Attached Devices page.  Satellites are shown at the top and other devices at the bottom of the screen.
  • If the satellite is actually connected (and the Orbi app is incorrect), then the satellite will appear at the top.
  • Make note of the satellite IP address.

Good Luck

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

p.s. The reason we are fixated on validating that the Orbi app is correct is because there are four easy ways to update satellite firmware if it is connected and only two very technical ways to update if it is not.  (i.e. "Good Luck. You'll need it.)

If the satellite is actually connected, then:

1. The Orbi app may be able to update the satellite firmware, provided that Netgear has marked the specific firmware "ready for prime time."  (For some time after new firmware becomes available on the Netgear support web site, it remains "invisible" to routers.  It can be a matter of weeks before suddenly the router or the app will announce "new firmware available".  For the RBR50 last May, it was about a month.)
  2. Likewise, the Orbi web interface can update satellite firmware, provided that it finds the new firmware.
  3. For users who are aware that new firmware is on the support site and want to install it, they can download the firmware, unpack the zip file and use the "Manual Update" tab on the web interface.  (The Orbi 'app' does not have a Manual Update feature.)
  4. Users who have downloaded and unpacked the new firmware can also connect directly to the satellite's web page and select the Firmware Update option on the satellite web menu.

If the app is correct, and the satellite is not connected, then none of those methods will work.  The user must connect the satellite by Ethernet cable to a computer and use TFTP or nmrpflash to manually "flash" the firmware on the satellite.  The forum has regular posts about trials and tribulations with flashing firmware. (I have done it successfully, and it was no "walk in the park.")  Some brave individuals have even opened the case to connect a serial port to pins on the motherboard and flash firmware that way. (I have not yet tried that method - shudder.)  For reference, here are some instructions on manually flashing firmware:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP 

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DLrLQrpaw 

Message 7 of 8
felho
Tutor

Thank you very much; using the web interface helped me. The satellite is connected indeed.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7