Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to upgrade firmware on RBR50?

AkoreJepade
Tutor

How to upgrade firmware on RBR50?

It will not let me upgrade the main router to the latest firmware... can't even do it manualy, It shows the new firmware but as you can see it this screenshot the Update all button is grayed out.

OrbiFirmwareBroke.png

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What browser are you using? 

Message 2 of 9
AkoreJepade
Tutor

Model NameDevice NameCurrent VersionStatus
RouterRBR50RBR50V2.5.1.16V2.5.2.4
SatelliteRBS50YGarageV2.3.5.32Update failed
SatelliteRBS50YBackyardV2.3.5.32Update failed
SatelliteRBS50KitchenV2.5.2.4No new firmware version available.

Using Chrome

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Well v4 has been superseded by v40:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

If you download the FW file for the RBR, and unpack the .zip file, using IE11, Edge, Firefox or Opera, the RBR should accept the FW upate file. 

Message 4 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@AkoreJepade wrote:

It will not let me upgrade the main router to the latest firmware... can't even do it manualy, It shows the new firmware but as you can see it this screenshot the Update all button is grayed out.

In-line pictures do not show up until approved by a forum moderator. (attachments can be opened immediately. no idea why this is.)

"Manual" update is a different process:

• Connect to the Netgear Support site for the specific model
    https://www.netgear.com/support/ 
  • Click on Downloads
  • Locate the desired firmware version.
  • Click on the download link.
  • After the "zip" file downloads, extract the "img" file to a place on the hard drive
    (I often use the Desktop)
  • On the Orbi web interface, navigate to
    Advanced Tab->Administration->Firmware Update
  • Click on the tab labelled "Manual Update"
    This tab appears "gray" because it is not the active tab. Once clicked on, it will become the focus and the Online Update tab will be grayed out.
  • On the Manual Update page, click on the Browse button to locate the "img" file on the hard drive, then click on the "Upload" button (on the FAR right)

When manually updating firmware on satellites, the steps are the same, except that you must connect directly to the satellite web page (by IP address) and select the menu item "FIrmware Update".

Sorry if I misunderstood the question.

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

You might want to downgrade the RBS to v16. v16 seems to be the most stable version FW. 

Up to you though. 

Message 6 of 9
AkoreJepade
Tutor

To update Orbi satellites, select the device then click the Update button to continue.
Model Name Device Name Current Version
RBS50Y Garage V2.3.5.32
RBS50Y Backyard V2.3.5.32
RBS50 Kitchen V2.5.2.4

Never mind, now I see... the router does not have to be selected as it automaticly knows to update it with the file. Duh. 🙂

Message 7 of 9
AkoreJepade
Tutor

Yeah I might have to roll them back to 16, they are acting funny for firwmare update. not sure why they show this:

SatelliteRBS50YBackyardV2.3.5.32Update failed
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya the RBSY doesn't have more updated FW. No idea if or when they will get an update. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7