Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to use 2 ORBI RBK50v2 range extenders with ATT hi-speed fiber optic cable gateway BGW210-700

RODI6
Aspirant

How to use 2 ORBI RBK50v2 range extenders with ATT hi-speed fiber optic cable gateway BGW210-700

Looks like ID Passthrough would be way to go with ATT Gateway. I have BGW210 built in Oct. 2019 which has ethernet cables to computer and Orbi RBK50. I will use a pair of Orbis for wifi to 2 tvs and another computer The system has been run and works fine but I probably have a double NAT. I don't want that! Do I want to set-up the Orbi rbk50 router as Acess Point ? I have read other Google comments and it seems 10 different people have 10 different ways of doing things. I am in my 80's and not the brightest around on this stuff. I really need a good walk through on doing the ID Passthrough for the BGW210 gateway help on setting up the Orbi RBK50v2 router if AP is what I want. In summary looks like I would like to use the ATT BGW210 as main ( hot wired ) router ant the ORBI RBK50 as WiFi only. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP AND SUGGESTIONS
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
RODI6
Aspirant

Re: How to use 2 ORBI RBK50v2 range extenders with ATT hi-speed fiber optic cable gateway BGW210-700

Hello,

Thank you for quick reply. Your sugestion to turn-off wireless in att BGW210 looks like a winner to me!  I still have a lot to learn,but why do people do an ID Passthrough and a host of other things when this is so simple? 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: How to use 2 ORBI RBK50v2 range extenders with ATT hi-speed fiber optic cable gateway BGW210-700

Yes, I'd put the orbi in access point mode. Att devices are horrible at properly support passthrough mode. 

It'd make it simpler for you. If you do this, you can shut off the wireless on the att device or leave it on. If you leave it on, just make sure the wireless channels aren't on the same channels the orbi is on. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

Message 2 of 4
RODI6
Aspirant

Hello,

Thank you for quick reply. Your sugestion to turn-off wireless in att BGW210 looks like a winner to me!  I still have a lot to learn,but why do people do an ID Passthrough and a host of other things when this is so simple? 

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@RODI6 wrote:

Hello,

Because running the orbi in AP mode disables quite a few features. If they or whatever att uses is already running on its own router though, you don't really lose anything. Just Netgears implemenation of it. And some prefer how netgear does it. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7