Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I Give Up, Returned the RBK53

Hsc1102
Apprentice

I Give Up, Returned the RBK53

That’s it. After years of connection issues and promises of improvement with firmware upgrades only to be left waiting for another firmware upgrade to fix the previous issues , I decided to return the RBK53. Thank goodness for Costco and their generous return policy!!!

Any recommendations?
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

Of course.  Google for "Best WiFi System", then check out the user forums for the leading products.  People seem to rate Linksys Velop, Google WiFi, TP-Link Deco (M5 and M9), and several others.  People on this forum own Netgear Orbi and are well acquainted with its strengths and weaknesses.  People who own the other products may be in a similar position.

Good Luck

Message 2 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Hsc1102 wrote:
That’s it. After years of connection issues and promises of improvement with firmware upgrades only to be left waiting for another firmware upgrade to fix the previous issues , I decided to return the RBK53. Thank goodness for Costco and their generous return policy!!!

Any recommendations?

That's too bad.  If you return it due to firmware issues, I believe you'll all the others face the same problem.  They key is stay away from manual updates.  If your system is working, why upgrade the firmware?

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

I've used multiple mesh networks. I'll rank them from my experience. Again, this is just my experience, it isn't scientific.

Here's how I'd rank what I've used.

1. Orbi RBK53

2. Arris W31

3. Orbi RBK43

4. TP-Link M9plus

5. Tenda MW6

This are the systems I've used so I can't speak to how the other wifi mesh systems work or reliablity. I will say that they've all had issues. None have been perfect. 

Smallnetbuilder does reviews and ranks systems. there's great reviews there and its worth looking/reading through it a bit before buying your next system.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/wifi-system/view

Message 4 of 14
Hsc1102
Apprentice

I've been on some 'fairly stable' firmware versions before, but netgear just never seems to get it right.  This day and age with the complexity of technology all companies experience issues with a version of their firmware, but it just seems like netgear was never able to get it right.  One version, I would have continuous connectiveity at slower than expected speeds and other versions I would have fast speeds but it would constantly disconnect especially when I am on a conference call for work.  This is not what you expect for a ~$400 system that promises fast speeds and big range.  Seems like firmware limited the ORBI's potential.

Message 5 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Hsc1102 wrote:

Seems like firmware limited the ORBI's potential.

How was your firmware installed?

Message 6 of 14
superczar
Apprentice

I would second the fact that there is something fundamentally off about the Orbi firmware.

I still love the hardware and no other router/mesh comes close in performance when the system works fine.

However the way the firmware distribution is managed + the inherent bugs in the code base (I presume) make the experience far less positive than otherwise.

My initial setup a year ago took over 2 days of trubleshooting before I got it stable

Adding a new satellite a few weeks ago broke a lot of things and took almost a week of hit & trial to get things back to normal (Eventually settled by setting Orbi as AP , downgrading firmware to 2.1.something and blocking internet access to all Orbis - to prevent auto updates)

Oh, and each time it reboots (say after a power failure), the whole network takes severeal minutes to come up and hours to fully stabilize. Short Brownouts and blackouts are fairly common in my town and I had to eventually move the Orbi power to a small UPS to avoid this

I think there is a lot more happening on the layer 2 switching on the Orbi than what happens on a traditional router and something about it is off

Message 7 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@superczar wrote:

I would second the fact that there is something fundamentally off about the Orbi firmware.

I still love the hardware and no other router/mesh comes close in performance when the system works fine.

However the way the firmware distribution is managed + the inherent bugs in the code base (I presume) make the experience far less positive than otherwise.

Please keep in mind that the only firmware pushed to users automatically are ones with major revisions.  All others are up to the users.  May not be a 100% fool proof system, but if your network is working and you login to the router and see that a update is 'available', shouldn't you ask yourself..."why?", unless you like living on the edge and particiapting in NGs new beta test group.

Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I and others are having good operation with current FW. Though we use factory resets and setup from scratch.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK50-RBS50-Tips-Tricks-Hidden-Secrets-etc/m-p/1815523/hi...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Speeds-have-plummeted-after-latest-update/m-p/1819282/highligh...

Fw is stable

@superczar wrote:

My initial setup a year ago took over 2 days of trubleshooting before I got it stable

Adding a new satellite a few weeks ago broke a lot of things and took almost a week of hit & trial to get things back to normal (Eventually settled by setting Orbi as AP , downgrading firmware to 2.1.something and blocking internet access to all Orbis - to prevent auto updates)

Oh, and each time it reboots (say after a power failure), the whole network takes severeal minutes to come up and hours to fully stabilize. Short Brownouts and blackouts are fairly common in my town and I had to eventually move the Orbi power to a small UPS to avoid this

I think there is a lot more happening on the layer 2 switching on the Orbi than what happens on a traditional router and something about it is off

Message 9 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I and others are having good operation with current FW. Though we use factory resets and setup from scratch.

While many others do NOT.  Factory reset is a hassle and is for lost password 

Message 10 of 14
superczar
Apprentice

In my case I had zero intent or wish to go to the latest firmware.
When adding a simple extra satellite broke my existing LAN, I had to go through a 100 hoops ( including updates to a minor non push revision) before finally settling on a forced downgrade to 2.1.4.16 ( and assigning static IPs to the Orbis + blocking internet access to them) to get things working.

On a side note, I have gone through plenty of home networking equipment over the last almost two decades. Enough to lose count of but there is none that I have seen that’s so capable yet so problematic
Message 11 of 14
Hsc1102
Apprentice

It was installed via the orbilogin page and as I always do, I did the factory reset.

Message 12 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Hsc1102 wrote:

It was installed via the orbilogin page and as I always do, I did the factory reset.

You did a factory reset and you still have problems?

Message 13 of 14
eljarviso
Luminary

If you have any technical knowledge throw in some Ubiquiti AC Pro access points. They’re low end enterprise but high end consumer.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7