Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I am Stumped. one laptop slowing down entire network

jcornfeld
Aspirant

I am Stumped. one laptop slowing down entire network

ok guys this is a little long but im at a total loss.. 

I live in Montana, we have 60mb internet. Previous to Orbi i was using Airport Extreme Units. 

Orbi is up, Running and great. 

Bought my wife a new laptop (windows 10) new Acer with an AC card in it. 

Every time i open her laptop and connect to wifi, any streaming etc is killed. my bandwidth goes to under 1mb. 

No Viruses.. Brand new laptop. Bloatware removed etc.. Good to go. 

I have a machine hard wired into the router as well for checking speed. 

i Can run a speed check on the hard wired machine and im getting 65mb

I turn on her laptop. Turn on the Wifi.

Speeds instantly Drop.

I can be running a speed test. Getting 65mb.. Turn on her laptop.. Mid Speed test.. and watch the speeds plummet. 

oh i had bought her an HP and it was doing the same thing and had an intel network card. So i went and got an acer and it has a qualcomm card in it. 

funny thing is last night while i was setting up her laptop it downloaded windows updates and everything was working fine. come 1 am. speeds go to crap and i have to restart everything.

but now every time i open the laptop.. connect to wireless.. speeds go in the crapper. turn wifi off and everything is golden.. any ideas? I am so stumped..

Oh yeah and thinking it might have been the Orbi System.. its not... I plugged my airport extreme back in.. and had the exact same results..  and When her laptop is on.. even the hard wired computers speeds drop to almost nothing. 

Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 6

Re: I am Stumped. one laptop slowing down entire network

just leave it connected overnight and see if it then stops doing it , just sounds like something is updating or prob more like re syncing , eg one drive or google drive or that apple thing , its will be something like that

Message 2 of 6
jcornfeld
Aspirant

Just had the Tech out here and we looked at the orbi logs and its getting DDOS attacks every time i connect that computer and thats whats slowing down the network. but im not sure how or why its happening. super stumped. all i did was put an SSD in, restore the laptop, installed dropbox, itunes, icloud and some other stuff for my wife to do her college work with. i havent even browsed the web other than speedtest.net i did however remove the mcaffee that comes on it.. (bloatware in my opinion) and we traced the IPs from the attacks and they are from facebook and dropbox... im so confused as to what to do now lol

Message 3 of 6
jcornfeld
Aspirant

let me correct myself DOS attacks.. like this one..

[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 31.13.76.102, port 443, Saturday, December 03, 2016 13:55:04

Message 4 of 6

@jcornfeld wrote:

all i did was put an SSD in, restore the laptop, installed dropbox, itunes, icloud and some other stuff for my wife to do her college work with.  im so confused as to what to do now lol

hi

so again , all those apps are syncing with their cloud and if she has a lot of data up in those clouds its going to take quite a long time to re sync the laptop to match the cloud in each case , you prob should have just installed one of them at a time and let them sync

i suspect the dos attacks are just part of how those apps communicate and the router is just throwing it up as an attack when its not really

whats the orbi connected to as far as internet as if its a modem / router you can get dos attacks just between the two

Message 5 of 6
jcornfeld
Aspirant

well i went ahead and ripped out the SSD that had the updates etc installed and put the stock HDD in there that was only used to boot up the machine and test the wireless card... no problems at all with the wireless with the old HDD, so i re installed the SSD and am doing a restore and will watch the network when im installing items and see what freaks out. Thanks guys.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7