× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I now have 5 satellites connected to a RBR50 with images

rwillett
Follower

I now have 5 satellites connected to a RBR50 with images

I now have five satellites connected to my Orbi RBR50 router. Just brought a router and satellite off Amazon, I only wanted the satellite but for the price it was cheaper to buy the pair. I'll make the router into a waterproof satellite for outdoor use when I have time.

As everybody wants proof, heres the network table. Feel free to hack 192.168.1.x 🙂

I am aware that one of the current satellites is claiming a poor connection which we'll look at. However that's a site placement and we'll manage it.

The reason I need so many is that I have an very old house wiith 26" (or more) inside granite walls. Its doesn't get too hot or too cold but I have no means of drilling through the walls and don't really want to. I have a number of wireless units and all of them struggle, Netgear is no worse than anybody else.

The new satellite is in the cellar and is claiming it's not got an optimal connection as it has an orange ring but I still get a decent speed. Also the Orbi stuff seems to take some hours to settle and adapt.

rwillett@gateway1:~$ speedtest
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Testing from Broadband for the Rural North Limited. (XX.XX.XX.XX)...
Selecting best server based on latency...
Hosted by Broadband 4 the Rural North (Lancaster) [73.95 km]: 6.54 ms
Testing download speed........................................
Download: 308.78 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed..................................................
Upload: 195.84 Mbit/s
rwillett@gateway1:~$

We have 1GB to the house via fibre so given that its going through at least one wall, thats not bad. My initial attempt with powerline adaptors was down in the 3Mbit connection, so 308Mb is fine.

next project converting the router to a satellite and putting it in a waterproof box for outside use.

Rob

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
Mstrbig
Master

Re: I now have 5 satellites connected to a RBR50 with images

Great news. Orbi is a great product if configured correctly. There are some great weatherproof boxes available for your outdoor satellite projects. This is how we setup all our outdoor satellites, by using a normal Orbi satellite model and a wetherproof box. It gives better protection in the Florida heat and humidity. Now if we can come up with a powerful enough portable solar power grid, it would make it totally outdoor and portable.

Thanks for sharing.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series