Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I want to assign static IPs to my devices to see if that helps me lose my internet connection

ichisdeno
Follower

I want to assign static IPs to my devices to see if that helps me lose my internet connection less

I want to assign static IPs to my devices to see if that helps me lose my internet connection less often (RBR50 and RBS50). I know that I can reserve IP addresses in Advanced / Setup / LAN, and that process seems fairly straight-forward, but I have three questions: In LAN settings, I have Use Router as DHCP server active, and have my IP range set from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.120. Does that mean that when I'm reserving addresses, I need to use addresses within that 2-120 range, or I need to use addresses outside of that range? I'm not sure if the range defines ANY IP addresses that will be used (dynamic or assigned) or just the range that the router can use to make dynamic assignments. If I want to assign a device to an IP address other than the one it's already using, what's the process? Do I do the assignment within Orbi while the device is connected, then reboot the device to force it to reconnect with the newly-assigned IP? For things like thermostats I don't know that I have a way to force the lease to expire or otherwise flush the system. If I use the address reservation feature on the router side, that means that I shouldn't do anything on the device to set a static IP, right? They should all continue to be set up to accept their IP assignment from the DHCP server, so as far as they're concerned, nothing has changed... the router just knows to always assign them the same number, instead of doing a random assignment. Is that correct? Anything else I should watch out for when I do this?

Message 1 of 8
microchip8
Master

Re: I want to assign static IPs to my devices to see if that helps me lose my internet connection

If you want to put static IPs on some of your devices, you should use IPs that are out of the DHCP range of the router (2-120).

Static IPs are set on the device(s) it/themselves, the router is not involved.

Message 2 of 8
defjaf
Tutor

Is there possibly some confusion between a static IP address set on the "client" device, and a reserved IP address set on the router?

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@microchip8 wrote:

If you want to put static IPs on some of your devices, you should use IPs that are out of the DHCP range of the router (2-120).
Static IPs are set on the device(s) it/themselves, the router is not involved.

This is entirely correct.  Assigned (or reserved) IPs belong outside the DHCP pool.  In addition, the Orbi does not handle DHCP the way people want it to.  Rebooting the actual device will not cause the Orbi to assign the "correct" IP.  The only process that appears to work is to power cycle the Orbi itself.  Every device will notice, "The network went away." and begin looking for it to reappear.  When it does, the Orbi will have totally forgotten what IPs devices were using before the network went down and will assign correctly from the LAN Setup table.

Personally, I hate rebooting the router, but in the case of getting DHCP to hand out what it should, that's the only sure way.

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Static IP address configurations on done ON client devices. IP address Reservations on on ON the router for client devices. 

Static IP configurations should be outside of a DHCP IP address pool, while IP address reservations are made with in the DHCP IP address pool.

@defjaf wrote:

Is there possibly some confusion between a static IP address set on the "client" device, and a reserved IP address set on the router?

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

I have been very successful keeping the reserved IPs separate from the DHCP 'pool'.

i.e. reserved IPs from 2-70. Pool from 71-100.  (As I get more 'things' on the network, I move the 'pool' up.  Should have gone to 101-200 to start with - sigh)

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Not sure I understand your configuration. IP address reservations are and should be with in the Default IP address pool. Static IP addressed devices should fall outside of the pool 

I use and have been using .100 to .200 for many years. Go this from a competing router company as they default there router DCHP IP address pool size to .100 to 200. Gives me static IP address room on either side of the pool for static IP configured devices where needed. And since I don't have but 30-40 devices online at one time, there is plenty of room inside the pool for more. 

Message 7 of 8
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Defjaf,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you would like clarification on the reserved IP addresses in your Orbi RBR50 router and the static IP addresses on the client-side devices.

The reserved IP  address in the router ensures that those IP addresses are not automatically assigned. This allows the user to manually (static) assign IP addresses to client-side devices. This allows the user to pick a reserved IP address from the reserved list for a specific end-user device. 

Below are the steps to manually (static) assign an IP address to a client from the router:

1. In the Address Reservation section, click or tap the Add button.
  2. In the IP Address field, type in the IP address to assign to the computer or server.
    Choose an IP address from the router’s LAN subnet, such as 192.168.1.x.
  3. Type the MAC address of the client-side device to be assigned an IP address.

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7