Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

IOS devices cannot configure WiFi log-in of Ecobee thermostats; BAF Haiku fans

johnbday
Tutor

IOS devices cannot configure WiFi log-in of Ecobee thermostats; BAF Haiku fans

After power outage (20 seconds while generator kicks in) 7 Ecobee 3 Lite thermostats and 11 BAF Haiku fans lost WiFi connection to Orbi meshnetwork employing wired backaul to 10G SM Plus Switch.  Macs and IOS devices all resumed WiFi connectivity. In the past thermos/fans could be rejoined to WiFi network by using IOS Join Network feature in IOS device WiFi settings app. Altneratively WiFi network and password could be manually entered.  Neither method now work for both appliances. Fans simply report WiFi conection failure; Ecobees appear to connect to local WiFi network but cannot login externally (to Ecobee.com).  Reset Orbi and recreated WiFi network from scratch (using same network name and password); same failures. Ecobee WiFi diagnostics shows no entry in Gateway and DNS fields (which I had thought should have been supplied incidental to log-in to WiFi network).   

Any ideas or resources? Since common to two different devices from two different manufacturers whether WiFi log-in is manual or IOS configured, I surmise this is a network problem, although I can't tell if it is the Orbis or the Switch.

Model: XS724EM|24 Port 10-Gigabit/Multi-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch with 2 SFP+ Ports, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
johnbday
Tutor

Re: IOS devices cannot configure WiFi log-in of Ecobee thermostats; BAF Haiku fans

SOLVED.  It appears that an update for the ORBI was released only this morning; while it would not load using the Online Update (automatic) feature, I was able to manually download and install it onto the hub and all satellites. After it installed (had to refresh sceeen to see progress in installation) I ran the ORBI Setup Wizard which slowed to a crawl accessing the Comcast Xfinity wired connection. Immediately afterward I saw virtually all the devices that couldn't reconnect to the network rejoin on their own (one Ecobee couldn't because I had completely disconnected it; after reconnection and re-registration it popped back on too).

So - good news is that the problem is solved. The other news is I can't be really sure if it was today's ORBI firmware update or simply running the Setup Wizard; 'seems pretty clear it had nothing to do with the Switch (settings and firmware for which were not changed).

Thanks to all for your time and patience.  Happy Holidays.

View solution in original post

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, XS724EM|24 Port 10-Gigabit/Multi-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch with 2 SFP+ Ports
Message 10 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: IOS devices cannot configure WiFi log-in of Ecobee thermostats; BAF Haiku fans

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Can try this to see if this helps get the devices reconnected:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/orbi-20-cannot-connect-Swann-Camera/m-p/1822475/highlight/true...

@johnbday wrote:

After power outage (20 seconds while generator kicks in) 7 Ecobee 3 Lite thermostats and 11 BAF Haiku fans lost WiFi connection to Orbi meshnetwork employing wired backaul to 10G SM Plus Switch.  Macs and IOS devices all resumed WiFi connectivity. In the past thermos/fans could be rejoined to WiFi network by using IOS Join Network feature in IOS device WiFi settings app. Altneratively WiFi network and password could be manually entered.  Neither method now work for both appliances. Fans simply report WiFi conection failure; Ecobees appear to connect to local WiFi network but cannot login externally (to Ecobee.com).  Reset Orbi and recreated WiFi network from scratch (using same network name and password); same failures. Ecobee WiFi diagnostics shows no entry in Gateway and DNS fields (which I had thought should have been supplied incidental to log-in to WiFi network).   

Any ideas or resources? Since common to two different devices from two different manufacturers whether WiFi log-in is manual or IOS configured, I surmise this is a network problem, although I can't tell if it is the Orbis or the Switch.

Message 2 of 11
johnbday
Tutor

have 3 satellites and 1 RBR 50 base in a two floor large house, but thought that distance wouldn't matter with wired backhaul (it didn't until recently anyway). Forgot to mention checked and updated firmware for both Orbi and Switch. There are actually 2 Ecobees that didn't not lose network connection, and they both show Channel 1 so I have used that in all manual reconnection attempts (using IOS device to configure connection does not offer channel choice, so assume that is Auto). WiFi on Macs/IOS devices shows no networks other than Orbis and th XFINITY network in my cable modem. Armor already disabled. Will try settings adjustments. Assume security setting would make no difference (do not want to operate unencrypted).  Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, XS724EM|24 Port 10-Gigabit/Multi-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch with 2 SFP+ Ports
Message 3 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@johnbday wrote:

Orbi meshnetwork employing wired backaul to 10G SM Plus Switch.

Power outages can wreak havoc, even if only for a few seconds.  I seem to recall reading comments on the forum about the perils of "managed" switches.  Could you explain more about how things are connected?  i.e. how the Orbi router and satellites are connected and where the switch is placed relative to everything?

My understanding is the same as yours: when all these things lose power and restart themselves when power is restored, they are supposed to act "just like before".  Any settings or configurations should be preserved.  That seems to have happened correctly to most of your equipment, but not all.  Since the Ecobee and BAF devices are the ones that did not reattach, the natural assumption is that "something happened to them."  What if the problem lies somewhere else, like the switch?  While assembling the network in the first place did you make any setting changes on the switch from the default? (anything, no matter how trivial?)

You have done what I would have done, so the problem certainly is not obvious.

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Distance is still a factor even with wired backhaul. You still don't want too much wifi over lap. 

@johnbday wrote:

have 3 satellites and 1 RBR 50 base in a two floor large house, but thought that distance wouldn't matter with wired backhaul (it didn't until recently anyway). Forgot to mention checked and updated firmware for both Orbi and Switch. There are actually 2 Ecobees that didn't not lose network connection, and they both show Channel 1 so I have used that in all manual reconnection attempts (using IOS device to configure connection does not offer channel choice, so assume that is Auto). WiFi on Macs/IOS devices shows no networks other than Orbis and th XFINITY network in my cable modem. Armor already disabled. Will try settings adjustments. Assume security setting would make no difference (do not want to operate unencrypted).  Thanks!

Message 5 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@johnbday wrote:

Armor already disabled. Will try settings adjustments. Assume security setting would make no difference (do not want to operate unencrypted).  Thanks!

There may be some confusion about Armor and security.  Key parts of the Orbi system are already encrypted, such as the 5G WiFi backhaul channel (which you are not using).  When a user browses to a web site that is "https" that is already encrypted.  Orbi already includes a firewall which blocks attempts to connect to Orbi from the internet.  What Armor does is "add even more protection", which some users have concluded (a) is unnecessary and (b) interferes with stability and performance.  Consider a Windows computer.  Windows includes a firewall to protect the computer from attack.  Almost everyone uses anti-virus software (either the one Microsoft includes for free or one they choose to install).  Some people go farther and add things like MalwareBytes for "more protection."  People add "Ad Blockers" to their web browsers.

Message 6 of 11
johnbday
Tutor

Cable modem (comcast/Xfinity) is connected by ethernet directly to Orbi, which is connected directly to Switch, which is connected directly to each Orbi satellite.  Orbi was reset; Switch had firmware update. It's plug and play (you can change certain settings but it is not intended to be a managed switch and so far as I know all settings are default; they are definitely the same settings that worked for months until late last week. Did order a battery backup to help all three get through the 15 - 20 seconds from the time the power fails until the generator kicks in, but in the mean time I've got these smart appliances off the network.

Appreciate your thought and assistance

Message 7 of 11
sharmy
Apprentice

Same problem here. Rolled back to .34 firmware to resolve.
.58 is broken for me - useless if my thermostat and fans don’t work.
Message 8 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@johnbday wrote:

Forgot to mention checked and updated firmware for both Orbi and Switch.

Reading back through the discussion, I do not see the current firmware release on the Orbi.

Message 9 of 11
johnbday
Tutor

SOLVED.  It appears that an update for the ORBI was released only this morning; while it would not load using the Online Update (automatic) feature, I was able to manually download and install it onto the hub and all satellites. After it installed (had to refresh sceeen to see progress in installation) I ran the ORBI Setup Wizard which slowed to a crawl accessing the Comcast Xfinity wired connection. Immediately afterward I saw virtually all the devices that couldn't reconnect to the network rejoin on their own (one Ecobee couldn't because I had completely disconnected it; after reconnection and re-registration it popped back on too).

So - good news is that the problem is solved. The other news is I can't be really sure if it was today's ORBI firmware update or simply running the Setup Wizard; 'seems pretty clear it had nothing to do with the Switch (settings and firmware for which were not changed).

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@johnbday wrote:

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7