Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: IP Assignment Issues -- tied to SSID in some odd way? At a loss.. (RBR750)

tandrus89
Guide

IP Assignment Issues -- tied to SSID in some odd way? At a loss.. (RBR750)

Ok folks -- back again. I was previously here with the same issue (see: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/IP-assignment-issue-Devices-not-connecting/m-p/2015929#M108102) but here it is...

Last night we lost power for a brief moment. Once back up and on, >75% of my devices lost the ability to reconnect to Orbi. The only one I get a specific error on is my Galaxy phone, which states, "Couldn't get IP Address." The rest -- smart switches, plugs, smart devices -- all just blink as if they are looking to connect/are disconnected. Laptops try to connect, but don't. 

My configuration is: Modem (Netgear CM300) > Orbi > (1) ring base, (2) arlo base, (3) TP link unmanaged switch for hardwired ports around the house. I also have two satellites. 

Here's what blows my mind -- I can connect to the guest wifi fine from my phone. No issues with an IP address. I can change the SSID to another name and connect. So logically, it's something tied to the SSID? I'm not sure how that's possible. The only solution I had previously was to change the SSID and go through all of my devices (~150) and redirect them to the new wifi name. I don't want to have to do that, and I'm really at my breaking point with Orbi given this has happened multiple times now. 

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you

Message 2 of 8
pdeethardt
Apprentice

Did you try rebooting your system again and see if the devices would reconnect after that? I ran into an issue with my RBR50 while updating the address reservations yesterday evening. After I updated the list and the router rebooted, most of my wireless devices were not able to successfully reconnect including the satellites. The devices connected by ethernet were able to reconnect successfuly. After some basic troubleshooting with no success, I decided to reboot the router again, and after that everything reconnected normally. 

Message 3 of 8
raven_au
Virtuoso

@pdeethardt wrote:

Did you try rebooting your system again and see if the devices would reconnect after that? I ran into an issue with my RBR50 while updating the address reservations yesterday evening. After I updated the list and the router rebooted, most of my wireless devices were not able to successfully reconnect including the satellites. The devices connected by ethernet were able to reconnect successfuly. After some basic troubleshooting with no success, I decided to reboot the router again, and after that everything reconnected normally. 

Rebooting doesn't necessarily restore function but if you reboot enough times it usually eventually works.

It's a bit hard to say but some devices are more sensitive to whatever the problem is, for example I've seen my Android phone behaves very badly when it happens.

It's not related to the SSID either.

Any action that restarts the dhcp server can lead to it, such as enabling the Guest network, changing the dhcp reservations, etc.

I've also seen the problem on the RBR850 where it seems to be worse IMO.

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

I don't think that netgear makes a CM300. 

What actual modem is it? 

I even took at look at the other conversation and didn't see anywhere where the actual modem was listed. 

Message 5 of 8
tandrus89
Guide

@raven_au wrote:

@pdeethardt wrote:

Rebooting doesn't necessarily restore function but if you reboot enough times it usually eventually works.

It's a bit hard to say but some devices are more sensitive to whatever the problem is, for example I've seen my Android phone behaves very badly when it happens.

It's not related to the SSID either.

Any action that restarts the dhcp server can lead to it, such as enabling the Guest network, changing the dhcp reservations, etc.

I've also seen the problem on the RBR850 where it seems to be worse IMO.

I restarted several times with no solution. Only changing the SSID fixed it. Even after a factory reset, under the same SSID, it did not resolve the issue (I would think this would reset the DHCP server?). That's what's odd to me. I tried several things, including going into AP mode temporarily. The ONLY THING that worked was to change the SSID and reconnect the 150+ devices in the house to the new network, which is a huge pain in the ass and I've had to do it 3-5 times now for the same issue.  

Message 6 of 8
tandrus89
Guide

@plemans wrote:

I don't think that netgear makes a CM300. 

What actual modem is it? 

I even took at look at the other conversation and didn't see anywhere where the actual modem was listed. 

Sorry, it's a CM700.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7