Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: IP assignment issue? Devices not connecting

tandrus89
Guide

IP assignment issue? Devices not connecting

Hi All,

Last night I lost power to my orbi, upon restart, only 50% of my devices reconnected. I have ~65 devices between TP Link switches, phones, Alexa devices, and laptops. I thought it was potentially a TP Link issue, but my new Samsung Galaxy S20 was also alerting me that "couldn't get ip address." I assume this is the issue w/ the smart devices as well. I went ahead and updated firmware to 2.6.1.40 and still no luck - in fact, less devices have connected (17). I'm at a loss -- I've done a factory reset, turned off/on the "Use Router as a DHCP server" setting, flipped my security TKIP+AES and then back to AES. Nothing. Help!

Modem: Netgear CM700

Router: RBR50

Satellite: RBS50

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

There must be a router somewhere providing IP addresses via DHCP, either (a) the ISP device (if it is a router), or the Orbi.  Turniing DHCP off and back on is fine as long as you wind up with one DHCP server somewhere.

Do you have Access Control enabled?

Do many of these devices have IP "assignments" in the LAN Setup table?

Message 2 of 13
tandrus89
Guide

I'm not sure I understand what could be providing DHCP, or how I'd have multiple (novice here -- have just been doing reading on this since experiencing the issues).

Access control is off. 

I currently have no address reservations in the LAN setup table. 

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

Message 4 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@tandrus89 wrote:

I'm not sure I understand what could be providing DHCP, or how I'd have multiple (novice here -- have just been doing reading on this since experiencing the issues).

Access control is off. 

I currently have no address reservations in the LAN setup table. 

Sorry for the confusion.  I am terribly "literal".  That comment, "turned DHCP off/on" threw me.  Some users put their Orbi in Access Point (AP) mode and let the ISP router assign IP addresses.  You obviously do not.  "My Bad"

The WiFi devices that are no longer connecting have been powered off and back on?

Message 5 of 13
tandrus89
Guide

How did you know I had a switch hardwired to the router? 🙂

It's TP-Link 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch (TL-SG108)

I use it in this configuration: Modem > Router > Switch > 7 hardwired ports & one smart hub

Message 6 of 13
tandrus89
Guide

Yes - I have gone through the house and reset all smart switches/plugs. Even tried to reset and reinstall them. My phone has been restarted and has the same connection issue mentioned above.

Message 7 of 13
tandrus89
Guide

So I went through a process of elimination -- I went ahead and purchased a new Orbi set thinking it might be a HW issue. It was not -- once connected, it behaved the same and wouldn't connect to all of my devices. I thought possibly it was the router, so I replaced the router as well with an ARRIS, but that's not the issue either. I called Xfinity which indicated through their automated system that my router was offline (despite all lights being on) so they performed a "Reset." Still not working. At a total loss at this point!

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

"I have ~65 devices between TP Link switches"

What happens if you remove these switches? 

@tandrus89 wrote:

How did you know I had a switch hardwired to the router? 🙂

It's TP-Link 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch (TL-SG108)

I use it in this configuration: Modem > Router > Switch > 7 hardwired ports & one smart hub

Message 9 of 13
tandrus89
Guide

I contacted Comcast again -- they recommended I change the network name and go device by device and readd them. Trying that now and seems to be OK. I'm really unsure on the technical side why this would work, or what the issue was. Largely fearful that if the power goes out again, I'll have to redo this whole process. 

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Your configuration should be persisting thru power cycles and such. If it's not then there would be problem in the configuration or in how the HW is setup. 

Message 11 of 13
tandrus89
Guide

After changing the network name, I went back through and "Reset" all devices to the new name. It seems to have worked. I don't think it was a HW issue, nor did I change any configuration during the power cycle that caused the mess. I have no idea what happened, why it happened, and how to prevent it. 

Given the # of devices I have active, would it be wise to lock static IP addresses to them? 

Message 12 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@tandrus89 wrote:

After changing the network name, I went back through and "Reset" all devices to the new name. It seems to have worked. I don't think it was a HW issue, nor did I change any configuration during the power cycle that caused the mess. I have no idea what happened, why it happened, and how to prevent it. 

Given the # of devices I have active, would it be wise to lock static IP addresses to them? 

After finishing the configuration, it might be a good idea to save a copy of it in case you need to set up again. (On the Advanced Tab-> Administration->Backup Settings.

"Lock Static IP addresses" has two meanings:

• Set the device itself to "Static IP".  Then, the device will not ask the network for an IP address.
    Some devices make this very difficult to do.  (PCs - easy.)  (Smart Plugs - impossible)
  • Use the "LAN Setup" on the Advanced Tab, Setup menu to assign an IP address to each device that the Orbi will give it when the device powers on and issues a DHCP request.  Lots of people do this.  For example, connecting to printers and NAS is easier when they remain at the same IP address.  Giving all of the smart plugs or security cameras IP addresses that group them together helps when looking to see what is on line and what is not.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7