Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: IPV6 was mostly fixed on firmware 2.3.0.28, but firmware 2.3.1.44 has some new IPV6 issues.

RedBatman89
Guide

IPV6 was mostly fixed on firmware 2.3.0.28, but firmware 2.3.1.44 has some new IPV6 issues.

So when I had manually updated my Orbi rbk23 to 2.3.0.28 and my IPV6 issues had seemed to be fixed. I no longer had to repplay IPV6 after three to five days anymore and I was fine with it. But when my Firmware had for some reason updated to 2.3.1.44 three weeks ago things began to change a little. I had decided to fiddle around with the IPV6 settings and to my suprise when I had tried to set it auto config it had started to act weried. I was getting 17/20 on IPV4/IPV6 instead of 19/20 and I was also not getting any IPV6 DNS either. SO I had swithced it back to DHCP and that helped but I was still having some issues so I had to reboot the ORBI.

In fact if I fiddle with IPV6 and try to apply stuff it will get a little wonky unless I reboot. Also I have been getting multiple Temprorary IPV6 Address now on my 8.1 Asus ROG, yet my WIndows 10 Desktop is fine and still gets the IPV6 DNS but it will sometimes dissaappear. So I think we need a roll back to 2.3.0.28. 

Message 1 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: IPV6 was mostly fixed on firmware 2.3.0.28, but firmware 2.3.1.44 has some new IPV6 issues.

Did you factory reset the RBR after v44 was applied to see if IPv6 still had problems? 

Message 2 of 26
RedBatman89
Guide

I have not yet done that. Although given the circumstances wouldn't be surprised if that didn't fix it since I remember the firmware back in October of 2018 even after a factory reset problem still happened with backhaul topology.

On the plus I still don't have to reapply my IPV6 anymore since I no longer lose it after a couple if days thankfully. But now I'm curious if any other users here have had similar issues.
Message 3 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

I had subitted a ticked for a few users last year regarding IPv6 would fail after a few days of operation. I believe NG fixed it. 

I would try a factory reset and setup from scratch...I have seen were issues were still problematic however was corrected after a factory reset and setup from scratch. Please do not reload a saved config from file after the reset. Walk thru the setup wizard again and configure IPv6 and see if this resolves this issue. 

Message 4 of 26
RedBatman89
Guide

Well like I said in a previous comment I no longer have to reapply IPv6 every few days. Since it no longer fails for me as well, the only issue is that IPv6 DNS disappear sometimes. But my IPv6 doesn't fail still works. I think it's because for some reason now if you Tinker with IPv6 settings Oddities like this can happen when used to not to.
Message 5 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. 

Message 6 of 26
RedBatman89
Guide

Actually another thing I'm curious about is why I keep getting so many temporary IPv6 addresses on my laptop. It's like every 24 hours I get a new one. Any explanation on that?
Message 7 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Not sure. Possible that maybe coming from the ISP.

Is the addresses being seen coming from the RBR or ISP? 

Message 8 of 26
RedBatman89
Guide

Well you see on 2.3.0.28 I never got this. But on 2.3.1.44 I'm geeting them. Like last night before I shut down my ASUS ROG laptop I had 5 temporary IPV6 address. My desktop doesn't do this, thought its probably because everytime I bring it back from sleep mode it reconnects to the internet fresh. It doesn't resume like my laptop since its Wifi.
Message 9 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

I would do the factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch and see if it still happens. 

Message 10 of 26
RedBatman89
Guide

So is that something should be done every firmware update? Since I feel like a factory reset is a considered mandatory lately.
Message 11 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

We've been seeing odd and bad behaviors after these updates that come from the Auto Update system. Others have gone back and manually loaded FW files and then do a rest and setup from scratch. This also seems to help those seeing odd or bad behaviors. I have seen this one on my CBR40, was having problems with NAT Filter. After doing a reset, it fixed it. 

Sometimes we believe some old code is not getting fully cleared out or mis-configurations are not getting reset. So to help avoid some of these odd things, some of us now just update, manually, reset and setup from scratch. Ya, it takes longer however helps avoid most of the problems seen after a auto update and continue. Something I wish that NG would really fix. I agree that users shouldn't have to reset after an update. Just seeing the problems that people are expressing after updates and after doing a reset, seems like the auto update continues to give problems where it shouldn't. Smiley Frustrated

Message 12 of 26
RedBatman89
Guide

Well okay. So if i do a factory reset do I have to download 2.3.1.44 manually, or well it be already applied. Should I download it manually anyway and reapply it, or not?

It times like this I wish rmerlin was working on Netgear firmware.
Message 13 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

I personally would download v44, re-apply using IE11 or FF browser on a wired PC, factory reset and setup from scratch.

Message 14 of 26
RedBatman89
Guide

Would Google Chrome work too? I will try this when I have time in the week. Since iam a college student and work is necessary now. But geez if my internet and IPV6 is still working okay maybe this os not too necessary. I mean if reapply the firmware could that just fix it by itself?
Message 15 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

I preferr IE, FF or Opera. Seem issues with using Chrome. 

You might leave it alone this week and check on it this weekend. If you think the system has stablized then maybe something corrected itself. If not, then you have your options. 

Message 16 of 26
RedBatman89
Guide

So I have updated to 2.3.1.48 and still same thing happens. Odd I thought it would get fixed. Well If I have time I'll try the factory reset. But other than that no problems with the internet. 

Message 17 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if a reset resolves this with v48.

@RedBatman89 wrote:

So I have updated to 2.3.1.48 and still same thing happens. Odd I thought it would get fixed. Well If I have time I'll try the factory reset. But other than that no problems with the internet. 

Message 18 of 26
Dd852
Luminary

I have this problem too for iPhone and iPad, i.e. the devices that move between Orbi and satellite. I don’t have this problem with iMac/MacBook Pro, which aren’t moving around. i think there’s an issue with passing ipv6 addresses through the backhaul. How do we escalate this?

Message 19 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Have you updated to v48 yet. 

Has a factory reset been performed and setup from scratch after v44 or v48 has been applied? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Is IPv6 enabled on the RBR? Whats it's current settings? 

ISP supporting native IPv6? 

@Dd852 wrote:

I have this problem too for iPhone and iPad, i.e. the devices that move between Orbi and satellite. I don’t have this problem with iMac/MacBook Pro, which aren’t moving around. i think there’s an issue with passing ipv6 addresses through the backhaul. How do we escalate this?

Message 20 of 26
Dd852
Luminary

Yes isp supports natively. And iMac etc pass all external impv6 tests. Set on auto detect as per isp specification

Message 21 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

So you get IPv6 thru the RBR and not the RBS? 

@Dd852 wrote:

Yes isp supports natively. And iMac etc pass all external impv6 tests. Set on auto detect as per isp specification

Message 22 of 26
Dd852
Luminary

No, actually the iMac is connected wirelessly to the RBS and it works fine. If I leave the iPad in one place for a day after resetting it it seems fine too. The problem seems to be in the handoff between RBR and RBS or vice versa - that creates some kind of clash of ipv6 addresses (ipv4 thankfully is perfectly fine )

Message 23 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

File a support ticket:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

@Dd852 wrote:

No, actually the iMac is connected wirelessly to the RBS and it works fine. If I leave the iPad in one place for a day after resetting it it seems fine too. The problem seems to be in the handoff between RBR and RBS or vice versa - that creates some kind of clash of ipv6 addresses (ipv4 thankfully is perfectly fine )

Message 24 of 26
Dd852
Luminary

Seems impossible to file a support ticket outside of the initial 90 days. That’s a real pity.

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7