Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Integrate NightHawk AC1900 Model C6900 to Obi Mesh

Intdummy
Tutor

Integrate NightHawk AC1900 Model C6900 to Obi Mesh

Hello, 

Am interested in setting up an Obi Mesh Wifi (throughout my house and outside)  I currently have a AC1900 Model C6900 NightHawk with Wifi. A couple of questions:

(1) Can I turn wifi off the NH, and use it as a Modem, and connect my Obi router to it (all in the same room (short cable)? 

(2) Can I keep wifi on the NH, and will Obi satellite and outdoor extender recognize it? 

Help would be greatly appreciated. 

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Integrate NightHawk AC1900 Model C6900 to Obi Mesh

@Intdummy wrote:

Hello, 

Am interested in setting up an Obi Mesh Wifi (throughout my house and outside)  I currently have a AC1900 Model C6900 NightHawk with Wifi. A couple of questions:

(1) Can I turn wifi off the NH, and use it as a Modem, and connect my Obi router to it (all in the same room (short cable)? ----Yes, page 11 of the manual walks you through bridge/modem only mode. 

(2) Can I keep wifi on the NH, and will Obi satellite and outdoor extender recognize it? -----no/yes. Orbi satellites need a orbi router. But orbi outdoor has both orbi mode and extender mode. I'd recommend just putting the C6900 in bridge mode and going with an orbi setup. simplicity tends to make things more reliable/stable

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

@Intdummy wrote:

Hello, 

(1) Can I turn wifi off the NH, and use it as a Modem, and connect my Obi router to it (all in the same room (short cable)? ----Yes, page 11 of the manual walks you through bridge/modem only mode. 

(2) Can I keep wifi on the NH, and will Obi satellite and outdoor extender recognize it? -----no/yes. Orbi satellites need a orbi router. But orbi outdoor has both orbi mode and extender mode. I'd recommend just putting the C6900 in bridge mode and going with an orbi setup. simplicity tends to make things more reliable/stable

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

@Intdummy wrote:

Hello, 

(1) Can I turn wifi off the NH, and use it as a Modem, and connect my Obi router to it (all in the same room (short cable)? 

(2) Can I keep wifi on the NH, and will Obi satellite and outdoor extender recognize it? 

Message 3 of 8
Intdummy
Tutor

Thank you! Will give your recommendation a try. Appreciate the feedback. 

Message 4 of 8
Intdummy
Tutor

Thank you! Will keep that in mind when I am setting up the satallite and the external outdoor router. 

Appreciate the feedback.  

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Hope it goes well for you. 

Message 6 of 8
Intdummy
Tutor

Hey all, 

Want to thank all your help. I got the Mesh system setup this evening and it is wonderful. Tested connectivity all the way out to my new extension and sure looks like the connection is steady and strong - 3 bars. Will see how it perform once we get our full gaming system up and running. 

Thanks again!

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation