Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Intermittent drops on 2.4ghz

Gellie
Aspirant

Intermittent drops on 2.4ghz

So I noticed i'm gettign a fair amounts of drops on the 2.4ghz band on my Orbis. Not getting the drops on the Fios router. I have tried changing the channels(1,6,11) to no avail. The Orbi is in AP mode. Are the any changes that I can try? I moved my wirless phone away from te satelite. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
Gellie
Aspirant

Also I should mention that under advanced settings everything is enabled. 

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

You may want to try and lower the power out put of the Orbi radios by lowing from 100% to 75 or 50%. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings
Not seen on Orbi AX.

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 3 of 11
Gellie
Aspirant

Thanks. I try the adjustments. 

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully something will help with this. Keep us posted. 

Message 5 of 11
GeoffChesh
Aspirant

Hi,

Not sure if this applies to AP mode or not (apologies), but I have been experiencing drop outs due (I think) to suspected DoS attacks. Once I disabled that protection, the WiFi signal (on all bands) held up more reliably.

If you are interested, he is the discussion link:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Repeated-DOS-attacks-causing-dropped-connections/m-p/1851729/t... 

Hope it helps

Geoff

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Wouldn't effect the RBR in AP mode unless the offending attacker new the IP address of the RBR while in AP mode. 

@GeoffChesh wrote:

Hi,

Not sure if this applies to AP mode or not (apologies), but I have been experiencing drop outs due (I think) to suspected DoS attacks. Once I disabled that protection, the WiFi signal (on all bands) held up more reliably.

If you are interested, he is the discussion link:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Repeated-DOS-attacks-causing-dropped-connections/m-p/1851729/t... 

Hope it helps

Geoff

Message 7 of 11
Gellie
Aspirant

Thanks, one new thing im trying is to turn off the wireless on my router. Just using Orbi in AP mode. Maybe the to wireless singles were interfering with each other? 

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, having other wifi near by can effect or interfere with Orbi WiFi. 

Message 9 of 11
Gellie
Aspirant

Thx.Do you think i should reboot the orbi after turning off the wireless on my Fios router?

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, that would be a good step. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements