Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Internet speed

TomCT
Follower

Internet speed

Hello. I am upgrading to fiber-optic.

The speeds offered are 500 MB, 1 GIG, & 2 GIG.

Up to what GIG speed can the Orbi 5 RBK50 system

process from an internet provider?

(I have an RBR50 router & 1 RBS50 satelite).

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@TomCT wrote:

The RBR50 Internet (WAN) port is a gigabit Ethernet connection.  Thus, a 2 Gig fiber connection will be reduced to 1Gig immediately.  There is no point in paying for 2 Gig only to use 1 Gig.  (Some of the latest WiFi routers have 2.5G Ethernet ports.... and prices to match.)

When gigabit internet speeds first became available, there were a number of posts on the forum debating whether the RBR50 has the "horsepower" to process gigabit speeds.  (I do not recall reaching a consensus.)

The typical household will have a hard time consuming more than 500Gbps on a regular basis.  4K video streaming requires about 25Mbps. So, eight simultaneous 4K streams will require 200Mbps.  Add in a dozen Zoom sessions, a dozen security cameras and a couple of video games.....

The Good News is that most of the newer ISP services allow the customer to change services at will.  If you sign up for 500Mbps and feel, "This is not enough!", you can always call them up and move to 1G.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello TomCT,

I understand that you are looking to upgrade your internet to fiber-optic and currently wondering which speeds will be processed by your RBK50 system. 

For your RBK50 system the max output rates are as follows:

• 2.4 GHz: Max 400 Mbps
  • 5 GHz Front haul: Max 866 Mbps

This means that your speeds will be capped to this maximum if it exceeds it. 

Let me know if this helps!

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

The RBK50 wired will be able to max out gigabit. 

the numbers @KevinLiT gave you for wireless are correct but keep in mind they're link speed. 

Actual throughput tends to be around 55-65% of what link speed is because of network overhead/efficiency of your device. 

And thats for 5ghz. 2.4ghz tends to be much slower/lower. 

Just something to keep in mind that you might have 866mbps link speed but your not going to hit that on throughput. 

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@TomCT wrote:

The RBR50 Internet (WAN) port is a gigabit Ethernet connection.  Thus, a 2 Gig fiber connection will be reduced to 1Gig immediately.  There is no point in paying for 2 Gig only to use 1 Gig.  (Some of the latest WiFi routers have 2.5G Ethernet ports.... and prices to match.)

When gigabit internet speeds first became available, there were a number of posts on the forum debating whether the RBR50 has the "horsepower" to process gigabit speeds.  (I do not recall reaching a consensus.)

The typical household will have a hard time consuming more than 500Gbps on a regular basis.  4K video streaming requires about 25Mbps. So, eight simultaneous 4K streams will require 200Mbps.  Add in a dozen Zoom sessions, a dozen security cameras and a couple of video games.....

The Good News is that most of the newer ISP services allow the customer to change services at will.  If you sign up for 500Mbps and feel, "This is not enough!", you can always call them up and move to 1G.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7