Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is the RBS50Y my best choice to improve range to my back yard?

jpullam
Guide

Is the RBS50Y my best choice to improve range to my back yard?

I have a 2-story brick house with a basement, approximately 2400 sq. ft. per floor. I am using an Orbi RBR50 as my primary router and it has 3 satellites. Sat 1 is an RBS50, ethernet connected, and is on the second floor (same as the primary). Sats 2 and 3 are RBS20s, Wi-Fi connected, and are located on the main floor. This gives me quite good service anywhere in the house, plus the basement, and to a small degree outside the house. But I am looking for more!

I'm installing some outdoor cameras and it is clear that the Wi-Fi signal just isn't enough outside, so I have played with locations of the satellites but I suspect that I will just trade one weaker area for another. I am considering buying an RBS50Y and placing it inside the house in hopes that if it is located next to a window, it will give me a strong signal in my back yard. Is that going to work? I don't have any convenient power source outside the house and I'm concerned about bad weather on the RBS50Y, so mounting it outside is not much of an option.

Will the RBS50Y cover my backyard if it's inside the house? Is there any other alternative I should consider?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Is the RBS50Y my best choice to improve range to my back yard?

@jpullam wrote:

Based on all the great reviews I have read for the RBS50Y I had assumed that it was a more powerful satellite

WiFi signal strength is strictly regulated by the FCC (in the US). Consumer WiFi systems are pretty much identical. Sorry.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

The entire purpose for the RBS50Y is to be mounted outside.  Putting a satellite in a window is an excellent method to extend WiFi coverage outside (as long as the window is not metallic film), but there is no reason for a satellite placed indoors to be "weather resistant."

Message 2 of 5
jpullam
Guide

Based on all the great reviews I have read for the RBS50Y I had assumed that it was a more powerful satellite than an RBS20 or RBS50. People seem to rave about getting hundreds of yards away and it still working well. Can you clarify if all of these 3 models (RBS20, RBS50, RBS50Y) will cover pretty much the same area? Is there any choice that will give a stronger signal, into my backyard?

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@jpullam wrote:

Based on all the great reviews I have read for the RBS50Y I had assumed that it was a more powerful satellite

WiFi signal strength is strictly regulated by the FCC (in the US). Consumer WiFi systems are pretty much identical. Sorry.

Message 4 of 5
jpullam
Guide

Actually I'm in Canada, but I expect the rules are the same. So put any box close to the window or go outside are my 2 choices. Thanx.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7