Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issues with printer wired to Orbi satellite

GrudgeMonkey
Aspirant

Issues with printer wired to Orbi satellite

I have a Brother network printer connected by wire to my Orbi satellite. If I connect with my computer to WiFi while in the same room with that satellite, I can print. If I move to another room of the house, however, the print software tells me that the printer is offline. It's as if I've connected to another network, though I haven't. Is there some kind of firewall setting that I need to change, so data can go from one satellite to another?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Issues with printer wired to Orbi satellite

@GrudgeMonkey wrote:

I have a Brother network printer connected by wire to my Orbi satellite. If I connect with my computer to WiFi while in the same room with that satellite, I can print. If I move to another room of the house, however, the print software tells me that the printer is offline. It's as if I've connected to another network, though I haven't. Is there some kind of firewall setting that I need to change, so data can go from one satellite to another?

There is no firewall setting on the Orbi controlling communication between devices except the choice of whether devices connected to the "Guest" WiFi can communicate with the primary network.  Assuming this computer is connected to the primary Orbi network, then "no", Orbi has no internal firewall.

Does the printer have an IP address "assigned" to it? (On the Orbi Advanced Tab, Setup, LAN Setup?  As printers tend to hang around for a long time, this is generally a good practice.

What sort of computer is trying to access this printer? (Mac, PC, Linux?)

Message 2 of 5
GrudgeMonkey
Aspirant

I assigned the printer an IP address, but with a method different from what you suggested. In the Orbi setup, I left a range of IP addresses unmanaged, and on the printer setup, I assigned a static IP in that range.

I've tried printing from two devices. One is a Mac laptop, and the other is my Android smart phone. Both work when in the same room as the printer, and neither works from another room.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

It is probably superstition on my part to avoid using "static IP's".

On the Orbi "Attached Devices" display, does it show the printer with the correct IP address?

Do you remember the other information used when setting up the printer static IP?

(subnet mask, gateway, dns?)

Thanks

Message 4 of 5
GrudgeMonkey
Aspirant

Thanks for your help. I'm not at home right now, so I don't know the answer to your questions. I'll log into the Orbi server and check out the attached devices, and I'll check the printer settings too.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7