Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Last firmware prior to V2.7.2.104?

Plan-B
Aspirant

Last firmware prior to V2.7.2.104?

I'm having major WiFi issues with my Orbi RBR50 and want to try rolling back the FW version. I updated to V2.7.2.104 maybe a couple of weeks ago. Starting yesterday, WiFi will just randomly drop the WAN connection. Anything I have plugged in via Ethernet works fine, however. I have devices plugged directly into the RBR50 itself as well as things plugged into a D-Link DGS-1100 switch (all using Cat6 cables). All of my wired devices maintain the Internet connection without fail. But every 6-12 hours, anything on WiFi will just tell me there's no Internet connection. Rebooting the router resolves it, but a few hours later, it'll drop the Internet connection again. So it's not realistic for me to be rebooting it several times per day.

Logging into the router admin UI shows the tile for "Internet" status as "Waiting", but it's actually working fine for my wired iMac. If I switch to the Firmware Update screen, it shows my RBR50 router with "No new firmware version available." But I also have 3 RBS50 satellites and they all say "No Internet Connection." Which further confirms my theory that something is borked with just the WiFi Internet connection (I can still connect to my Synology NAS on a WiFi device). What's odd is that if I just leave the thing alone, it will eventually re-establish an Internet connection over WiFi. I haven't been able to figure out just how long I need to leave it, but it's at least 30 minutes, if not an hour.

I'm looking at the firmware page here: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx#download

It shows two "current" versions, with one being V2.7.2.104 and another V2.6.1.40. But when I expand the previous versions, there's also V2.7.2.102. So if I want to roll back to whatever was the last stable version, should I be installing V2.7.2.102 or V2.6.1.40?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 21
vajim
Master

Re: Last firmware prior to V2.7.2.104?

reach out to one of these folks:

@BoilerPlate 

@Ha_Ku_Na 

Message 2 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the RBR in AP mode or router mode? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset been performed since you updated FW?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

@Plan-B wrote:

I'm having major WiFi issues with my Orbi RBR50 and want to try rolling back the FW version. I updated to V2.7.2.104 maybe a couple of weeks ago. Starting yesterday, WiFi will just randomly drop the WAN connection. Anything I have plugged in via Ethernet works fine, however. I have devices plugged directly into the RBR50 itself as well as things plugged into a D-Link DGS-1100 switch (all using Cat6 cables). All of my wired devices maintain the Internet connection without fail. But every 6-12 hours, anything on WiFi will just tell me there's no Internet connection. Rebooting the router resolves it, but a few hours later, it'll drop the Internet connection again. So it's not realistic for me to be rebooting it several times per day.

Logging into the router admin UI shows the tile for "Internet" status as "Waiting", but it's actually working fine for my wired iMac. If I switch to the Firmware Update screen, it shows my RBR50 router with "No new firmware version available." But I also have 3 RBS50 satellites and they all say "No Internet Connection." Which further confirms my theory that something is borked with just the WiFi Internet connection (I can still connect to my Synology NAS on a WiFi device). What's odd is that if I just leave the thing alone, it will eventually re-establish an Internet connection over WiFi. I haven't been able to figure out just how long I need to leave it, but it's at least 30 minutes, if not an hour.

I'm looking at the firmware page here: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx#download

It shows two "current" versions, with one being V2.7.2.104 and another V2.6.1.40. But when I expand the previous versions, there's also V2.7.2.102. So if I want to roll back to whatever was the last stable version, should I be installing V2.7.2.102 or V2.6.1.40?

Message 3 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@Plan-B wrote:

The complaints are coming "fast and furious" right now, and there is a rumor going around that it is somehow connected to Daylight Saving Time. (I seem to remember something like this happening last March, but that is SO long ago..)

I believe 2.5.1.16 is regarded by many as the last "stable" firmware.

If you do manually load previous firmware, please report what happens.

Message 4 of 21
vajim
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

@Plan-B wrote:

The complaints are coming "fast and furious" right now, and there is a rumor going around that it is somehow connected to Daylight Saving Time. (I seem to remember something like this happening last March, but that is SO long ago..)

I believe 2.5.1.16 is regarded by many as the last "stable" firmware.

If you do manually load previous firmware, please report what happens.

I feel like a dinosaur.  Still on V2.5.2.4. Please don't ask me why.

Until now I never knew there was a NTP setting in the Orbi, but then again I don't go poking around without reason.  

Message 5 of 21
Plan-B
Aspirant

RBR50 is in router mode.

Modem is a Netgear CM1000 using Comcast Xfinity Gigabit as the provider.

I have not factory reset the router since the last FW update.

My house is a split-level built on a hillside. The router is in my home office on the middle floor and the three satellites are spread across the upper (street-level), middle and lower floors. They would vary in distance from the router. Straight-line, the distances probably range from 20-35 feet.

Since the issue has not been a problem in the 3.5 years I've owned the system, it doesn't seem likely that any combination of modem, satellite distance or provider is at fault here. As mentioned, all my wired connections are fine when the WiFi drops (and still very fast as I was downloading something at around 600Mb/s when my wife alerted me to the last disconnect). I also had the WiFi drop out on my work and personal phones while sitting just a few feet away from the RBR50. I have not adjusted any router settings in months, other than occasionally updating the firmware.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Is the RBR in AP mode or router mode? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset been performed since you updated FW?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

@Plan-B wrote:

Message 6 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

So you have the DGS-1100 switch between the modem and RBR? Prefered is to have the RBR directly connected to the modem. Then any LAN switch behind the RBR. Where my DGS-1100 connects when I use mine. I presume the DGS-1100 has updated FW as well? 

Do you have Armor or Circle enabled? 

What are your current NTP settings? 

I would give a factory reset and setup the RBS and RBR from scratch with a wired PC. 

Please try the RBR connected directly to the modem as well. 

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 7 of 21
Plan-B
Aspirant

The modem is connected to the WAN port on the RBR50. I have a couple of devices plugged directly into the RBR50, and the DGS-1100 connected to one of the remaining LAN ports on the RBR50. On the DGS-1100, the only managed feature I have enabled is a 4-port LACP for my Synology NAS. I don't have Armor or Circle enabled.

NTP settings are:

Time zone - GMT-8 (Pacific)

Automatic DST box is checked

NTP server is Netgear (i.e. default)

Message 8 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting time.nist.gov for NTP...

Ok, understand the lay out now. 

As last resort a reset maybe needed...

Message 9 of 21
Plan-B
Aspirant

I changed the time server right before the end of my work day (saw that mentioned in another thread). But it cut out on us 3 more times overnight, which really sucks when you're relying on WiFi for baby gadgets. So I just rolled back to V2.6.1.40 and am crossing my fingers.

Message 10 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you power off the system after you made the time change? I would have done this. 

I would do this as well if you downgraded as well. 

Let us know. 

Message 11 of 21
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you power off the system after you made the time change? I would have done this. 

I would do this as well if you downgraded as well. 

Let us know. 

Yes let us know if powering off the system fixes bad firmware.

Message 12 of 21
Plan-B
Aspirant

Sadly at this point, I don't think I'll be able to provide any useful update as to what worked and what didn't. After rolling back the FW, things were working fine. I hadn't power cycled the RBR50. After a couple of hours, I logged into the admin UI to just take a look at things. After a few minutes of clicking around from page to page, it prompted me for my password. I thought, "Huh, that's odd. I'm still actively navigating, it couldn't have timed out on me already." So I entered my usual PW and it didn't authenticate, prompting another PW attempt. Lather, rinse, repeat. After very carefully and slowly retyping the same PW I've used on the router for years, it sent me to the recovery screen. Then, after very carefully typing my answers (answers I know to be 100% correct) multiple times, I realized that I was probably permanently locked out, even though I had just logged in a few minutes prior. Even though I was actively navigating the admin UI when I got the PW prompt. I couldn't get in through a different browser, or different computers. The mobile app didn't want to accept my password either.

Strange thing was that I was in the middle of a livestream for work and that never hiccuped. Neither did other background downloads I had going on other devices. But after multiple attempts to log back into the admin UI, I gave up and did a factory reset. WiFi has been working for the past half hour or so and I've logged back into the admin page every few minutes just to make sure I can.

Unrelated... the backup config that I had saved yesterday didn't reload anything. None of the device names I had saved were restored. The satellite names were also not restored. Block lists I had set up were not restored. Literally none of the things I could think to check after loading the backup config were restored.

Message 13 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Wire connect a PC to the router and factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in for 15 seconds then let go. Power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds than back on. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate on top of the RBR, then log in to orbilogin.com using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on.

@Plan-B wrote:

Sadly at this point, I don't think I'll be able to provide any useful update as to what worked and what didn't. After rolling back the FW, things were working fine. I hadn't power cycled the RBR50. After a couple of hours, I logged into the admin UI to just take a look at things. After a few minutes of clicking around from page to page, it prompted me for my password. I thought, "Huh, that's odd. I'm still actively navigating, it couldn't have timed out on me already." So I entered my usual PW and it didn't authenticate, prompting another PW attempt. Lather, rinse, repeat. After very carefully and slowly retyping the same PW I've used on the router for years, it sent me to the recovery screen. Then, after very carefully typing my answers (answers I know to be 100% correct) multiple times, I realized that I was probably permanently locked out, even though I had just logged in a few minutes prior. Even though I was actively navigating the admin UI when I got the PW prompt. I couldn't get in through a different browser, or different computers. The mobile app didn't want to accept my password either.

Strange thing was that I was in the middle of a livestream for work and that never hiccuped. Neither did other background downloads I had going on other devices. But after multiple attempts to log back into the admin UI, I gave up and did a factory reset. WiFi has been working for the past half hour or so and I've logged back into the admin page every few minutes just to make sure I can.

Unrelated... the backup config that I had saved yesterday didn't reload anything. None of the device names I had saved were restored. The satellite names were also not restored. Block lists I had set up were not restored. Literally none of the things I could think to check after loading the backup config were restored.

Message 14 of 21
Plan-B
Aspirant

I just realized that all of my Ethernet wired devices are using manual IP settings, including Google's DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). Which supports the prevailing theory in other threads that this could be related to how Orbis handle DNS via DHCP. That would explain why all my wired devices haven't had any problems while all wireless devices (which all use DHCP) drop their Internet connections.

Message 15 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. If that works for you. However I would presume using Dynamic IP addresses should also work. 

I believe that after a reset and setup from scratch, try setting the NTP DST to disable or try a different time server like time.nist.gov, your devices should beable to use Dynamic IP and not see a problem. 

All my devices accept NAS, Printers and cameras, all use Dynamic IPs. 

Message 16 of 21
Brentx
Tutor

so annoying.  Glad I found this forum.  I have the same problem with having to reset the RBR every 4-6 hours.  Netgear is and always will be top 3 worst consumer networking companies.  My TP-Link worked for years.  

Message 17 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a  factory reset:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-intermittent-DNS-lookup-issues/m-p/2071397/highlight/tru...

@Brentx wrote:

so annoying.  Glad I found this forum.  I have the same problem with having to reset the RBR every 4-6 hours.  Netgear is and always will be top 3 worst consumer networking companies.  My TP-Link worked for years.  

Message 18 of 21
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try a  factory reset:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-intermittent-DNS-lookup-issues/m-p/2071397/highlight/tru...

@Brentx wrote:

Please let them contact NG support 

Message 19 of 21
jimbrown4231
Initiate

How do I roll back the firm ware from V2.7.2.104?  I have had nothing but problems after updating to V2.7.2.104.

I can't believe I just recommended the Orbi system to my neighbor and they bought it. I will tell them DON'T update the firmware and apologize for recommending Orbi.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 20 of 21
vajim
Master

@jimbrown4231 wrote:

How do I roll back the firm ware from V2.7.2.104?  I have had nothing but problems after updating to V2.7.2.104.

I can't believe I just recommended the Orbi system to my neighbor and they bought it. I will tell them DON'T update the firmware and apologize for recommending Orbi.

go to the download area and enter your model number.  They have firmware going way back.  Your choice.

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7