Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 11S does not show Netgear Orbi wifi. Any help?

MJ11
Tutor

Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 11S does not show Netgear Orbi wifi. Any help?

Since switching to our new Netgear Orbi device, my laptop does not recognize/show wifi while all other devices are working fine. Though, I can use my laptop at other places but not at home.

Message 1 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Which country are you in?

Which 2.4G WiFi channel is the Orbi using?

I ask because (it appears) that the Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 11S has only 802.11b/g/n WiFi (i.e. 2.4G)  If the Orbi 2.4G is set to channel 12 or 13, my guess is that the Lenovo may not be able to use those channels, and thus does not "see" the Orbi.

(or..... I'm totally wrong.)

Message 2 of 13
plemans
Guru

What wifi chipset do you have in that laptop and what driver is it running?

Message 3 of 13
MJ11
Tutor

Thanks for the relpy. I live in USA. You are correct in that my laptop has 802.11b/g/n wifi connectivity. I will see if I can download the wifi driver update from Intel website. That might correct the problem.

Message 4 of 13
Mikey94025
Hero

@MJ11 wrote:

Thanks for the relpy. I live in USA. You are correct in that my laptop has 802.11b/g/n wifi connectivity. I will see if I can download the wifi driver update from Intel website. That might correct the problem.

That's the best course of action.

If that doesn't help, you can often improve Orbi AX compatibility with older wireless 2.4Ghz clients by going to http://orbilogin.com and in Advanced tab / Advanced / Wireless Settings set CTS/RTS Threshold to 2347 for both bands.  If that is insufficient, try disabling (uncheck) AX Mode for 2.4Ghz in Advanced tab / Setup / Wireless Setup.

Message 5 of 13
plemans
Guru

did the driver update help? 

Did you find out what driver/chipset you had? 

Intel was horrible at getting updated drivers out to manufacturer's or windows update.

And their earlier drivers caused a lot of issues on AX networks (not seeing them). But they did get it updated on their own site and it tended to fix the issue. 

Message 6 of 13
MJ11
Tutor

After loading the driver and checking for it on my laptop, I get this message: "The best drive software for your device is already installed." I just might have an old laptop and an advanced network connection at home! 

Message 7 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Can you temporarily enable the Guest WiFi on this Orbi and see if the laptop recognizes it?

Is the driver  that was downloaded definitely more recent than the existing driver?  If there is a known way to restore the original driver, I might ignore that message and load the newer driver anyway.

I have an old Acer Aspire One that has only 802.11b/g/n, so I bought a USB WiFi dongle to get 5G WiFi for it.

Message 8 of 13
MJ11
Tutor

Thanks. Will try that.

Message 9 of 13
MJ11
Tutor

My (8-year-old) laptop also has 802.11 b/g/n wifi connectivity.

Message 10 of 13
plemans
Guru

still don't know what actual chipset or driver is installed. 

The device manager should tell you what wireless chipset it is and what driver you're running. 

Message 11 of 13
MJ11
Tutor

I'm not tech savvy, just know how to use it 🙂
I just went to Device manager:
Bluetooth shows: RLT8723A 4.0 + High Speed Chip
Network adapter shows: Realtek RLT 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter

Message 12 of 13
Mikey94025
Hero

@Mikey94025 wrote:

If that doesn't help, you can often improve Orbi AX compatibility with older wireless 2.4Ghz clients by going to http://orbilogin.com and in Advanced tab / Advanced / Wireless Settings set CTS/RTS Threshold to 2347 for both bands.  If that is insufficient, try disabling (uncheck) AX Mode for 2.4Ghz in Advanced tab / Setup / Wireless Setup.

Have you tried this suggestion yet?  Setting CTS/RTS Threshold to 2347 might fix the issue for your older laptop's wireless device.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7