Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Losing Wireless Connectivity

us806809
Follower

Losing Wireless Connectivity

I have at&t ISP at 50mps.  I stream tv and use an iPad, that's about it.  I use the Orbi system because there is one room in my house (my bedroom) that the conventional wi fi from att&t router would not reach.  Recently my tv has been losing wi fi connection or buffering for long periods of time saying "there seems to be a problem with your wi fi, call your ISP" and my iPad will get stuck with a rotating circle.  But my wi fi signal shows at full strength on my iPad.  Is this the Orbi or is it my wi fi?  Or both?  The TV is less than 1 year old so it is not the tv and this has been happening more just recently.  And my Nest thermostat lost wi fi connection and I can't get it to connect.  No flashing lights on my Orbi.  Can someone smarter than me tell me where the problem lies?  My ISP or my Orbi?  Thank you.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 3
t_k
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Losing Wireless Connectivity

@us806809

A lot more digging would be required to confirm the disconnects you're seeing are the same as others have reported. However, that said, a lot of people on this forum report random, difficult to reproduce disconnects using the Orbi system. It would seem likely that you're just running into the typical "the Orbi system keeps causing disconnects" issue that is being reported.

You can see my post about the topic, which includes my experiencing chasing the frequent disconnects. You can also see the list where people are demanding refunds over the persistent issue.

Anyway, if you want to confirm if your disconnects are from the Orbi here's an easy-ish way:

The next time a device of yours is experiencing an issue where the connectivity drops, restart the farther away Orbi. If restarting the Orbi that your wifi device is not connected to resolves the issue, then it's likely that the issue is the backhaul (which is common). If that doesn't resolve the issue, it doesn't mean the Orbi's are fine, but it does mean it's unlikely you're experiencing the common backhaul issue.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 2 of 3
idahoski
Tutor

Re: Losing Wireless Connectivity

What is sad is I have a Smartthings smartplug connected to my satellite so I can remotely restart it due to constant wifi problems.  

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7