Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Losing wifi when internet goes offline with RBK50

Enterprisemedia
Follower

Losing wifi when internet goes offline with RBK50

Hi folks

We get a lot of internet dropouts at our place. 

Our RBK50 goes totally offline when this happens. Now, of course, we don’t expect any internet connectivity when that happens, but it takes offlone all our local devices so, for example, we cant turn smart switches on and off etc

Any advice on how to fix this issue?

TIA

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Most smart switches are controlled through "the Cloud".  i.e. the smartphone app connects to the cloud service which sends a command to the switch.  No Internet = No Control.  I verified this by looking at the "Open Connections" on the Orbi.  Each of my smart switches keeps a connection open to the Internet (typically to an IP that traces back to Amazon Web Services).

My Nest thermostat is the same way.  Open the Nest app to change temperature and the command comes from the Cloud.

Message 2 of 5
JoeM845
Luminary

@Enterprisemedia wrote:

Hi folks

Our RBK50 goes totally offline when this happens. Now, of course, we don’t expect any internet connectivity when that happens, but it takes offlone all our local devices so, for example, we cant turn smart switches on and off etc

TIA

I presume that you mention smart switches as an example rather than the only devices that go down. Also presume that some of these devices do not have a suspect switch between you and the device. Some smart switches may require Internet access to function or configure. I don't know. I would never buy one.

My RBK50 (AP, fw 2.1.2.210) does not behave this way. I lost Internet this AM - actually a switch between my router and the modem. The RBR50 showed the magenta top lights. I was able to connect to devices on my side of the failed switch - including most of my LAN. I did not lose communication with any device on my side of the failed switch. I power cycled the failed switch and full functionality was restored. I did not have to touch the Orbi or any other device on the network.

Note that my RBR50 is in AP mode. There are some behavioral differences that you might not expect. One could be reaction to loss of the Internet. I don't know.

Message 3 of 5
ekhalil
Master

@JoeM845 wrote:

Note that my RBR50 is in AP mode. There are some behavioral differences that you might not expect. One could be reaction to loss of the Internet. I don't know.

The bahavior you described is the same whether Orbi is in AP or Router Modes. Loss of internet should not affect the communication between your devices that are attached to the LAN.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@Enterprisemedia wrote:

Hi folks

TIA

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7