Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: MAC filtering

dalessit
Aspirant

MAC filtering

It looks like there used to be the ability to do MAC filtering, at least stop new MAC addresses from joining wifi.

It's ridiculously easy for kids to randomize their MAC address which makes Parental control completely useless.

All of the posts I've found are older, does the RBR50 have the ability to filter by MAC address?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Not any more. I think it's all by IP now. Parental controls or some have installed and setup Circle:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle
Good Luck

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Not any more. I think it's all by IP now. Parental controls or some have installed and setup Circle:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle
Good Luck

Message 2 of 12
dalessit
Aspirant

Thanks,

Looks like I need to start looking for a new mesh system.   Seems like a huge oversight.  Kids today can easily get around these simple controls.

Also the fact I have to pay $8.00 a month for sub-par security, that is a level that pretty much all others provide for free.

Message 3 of 12
Aggie88
Apprentice

I have a RBR50 system and I can still control things by the MAC address.  I go to advanced, security, and access control and can deny access or allow access for a given MAC address.

Message 4 of 12
Aggie88
Apprentice

I am doing this via orbilogin on my laptop.  My RBR50 system is version 1.

Message 5 of 12
DeanB1452
Apprentice

From the web interface, Access Control allows you to block all new devices from connecting.  Once you have all the devices on the network, lock it down by selecting to block new devices and then any unidentified MAC address will be denied access.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 6 of 12
dalessit
Aspirant

What Firmware are you using, I saw older posts say that it was replaced in later versions.

When I go  to Advanced\Security\Access Control I see the following.

"To use Access Control, please use the Orbi App."

I'm on V2.7.0.70

Message 7 of 12
DeanB1452
Apprentice

I just updated to 2.7.2.102 yesterday.  Been using Access Control ever since I got the Orbi some 3+ years ago.  It's worked on 2.7.1.60 as well as 2.7.0.70.  Under Advanced\Security\Acces Control, there should be a box to "Turn on Access Control."  I also have Parental Controls enabled with Circle.  I just saw there is a button to upgrade to Netgear SPC but I haven't tried that yet.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 8 of 12
Aggie88
Apprentice

I am on 2.5.2.4 right now but had been on 2.7.0.70 and had it working there as well. 

Message 9 of 12
dalessit
Aspirant

Nope, not on mine.

GUI says no new firmware updates, going to downolad site looks like I can get 2.7.1.160

I believe I'm using SPC, but I don't remember being asked about it.  

Maybe I'm too new but can't add embedded pictures, When I go to Access control I see a message that tells me to use the Orbi App, no options there.

Screenshot 2020-12-27 182307.png

Message 10 of 12
alokeprasad
Mentor

This is what my Access Control page looks like (web interface) for RBK50

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? Setup using the RBRs web page using a web browser and no the Orbi app? 

I would check to see if your system sees the v102 FW update as well...

@dalessit wrote:

What Firmware are you using, I saw older posts say that it was replaced in later versions.

When I go  to Advanced\Security\Access Control I see the following.

"To use Access Control, please use the Orbi App."

I'm on V2.7.0.70

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7