Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Magenta! Add-on Outdoor Satellite(RBS50Y) won't sync with RBR850 - Orbi Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 Rou

CarolGZ
Aspirant

Magenta! Add-on Outdoor Satellite(RBS50Y) won't sync with RBR850 - Orbi Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 Router

Greetings!  I've followed all directions and troubleshooting tips but I can't get my new Orbi add-on satellite (RBS50Y) to sync with my Orbi RBR850 mesh wifi router. I had no trouble setting up the router and the satellite that came with it. But when I try to sync the RBS50Y I get the Magenta light indicating failure to connect.  I've tried everything suggested by the documentation. 

I need to set this up to teach a class starting Tuesday.  Would be grateful for any help!  Carol

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Magenta! Add-on Outdoor Satellite(RBS50Y) won't sync with RBR850 - Orbi Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 Rou

I would first attempt to sync the RBS50Y in the same room with the Orbi router.  It is a lot easier to see what is happening when all the devices are in the same location.  The User Manual on page 12 indicates that "pulsing magenta" means the sync button is disabled, and "solid magenta" indicates it did not connect.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBS50Y/RBS50Y_UM_EN.pdf 

Message 2 of 10
CarolGZ
Aspirant

Thank you, I've done all these things!  There seems to be a deeper issue not covered by the documentation. But thanks for the quick response! 🙂

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Like other Orbi's, the satellite has a tiny "Reset" hole on the back. Since the satellite appears to be "DOA", it cannot hurt to try resetting it to Factory.

Message 4 of 10
CarolGZ
Aspirant

Alas, I tried that, too!  but thanks for the suggestions -- all make perfect sense, it's just a weird situation!

Message 5 of 10
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

I thought I read on these forums that currently the WIFI5 (802.11ac) satellites currently do not work with WIFI6 (802.11ax) systems like the RBR850, at least for their backhaul.  Is that corrected now in the WIFI6 firmware?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 6 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Oh, d**n.  Once again, I failed to read carefully.  You are correct.  Netgear has promised that WiFi5 satellites will eventually sync with the WiFi6 product, but NOT YET.

So, maybe it is time to try the "other mode" on the outdoor satellite? (The one where it will connect to any WiFi router.)

Message 7 of 10
CarolGZ
Aspirant

Oh gosh, how could I have missed that!  That must be the explanation. I should have investigated more carefully before purchasing.  Thanks so much!

Message 8 of 10
CarolGZ
Aspirant

Thank you, that's a great idea, I'll pretend it's not an Orbi router. 🙂

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Unfortunately any RBS50 series satellite is not yet wirelessly complatibe with the Orbi AX system. NG has mentioned that at some point they will be makiing them compatible. No time frame or when this will happen. 

For any Orbi AX support or information, please post in the Orbi AX forum here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7