Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mixed LAN/Wi-FI Local Area Network creation with Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router (RBR50)

pierre22
Aspirant

Mixed LAN/Wi-FI Local Area Network creation with Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router (RBR50)

I have the following product Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router (RBR50) and I would like to create a mixed local area network using a network switch to connect devices such as pc, smart tv, printer and dvr, such as switch, with at least 6 ports; and which network cable do you recommend since I should upgrade to fiber?

#rbr50

#lan

#switch

Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Mixed LAN/Wi-FI Local Area Network creation with Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router (RBR50)

Message 11 of 21

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Mixed LAN/Wi-FI Local Area Network creation with Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router (RBR50)

any simple unmanaged switch will work. 

Just go router----switch/satellites. 

I've got it setup on mine with both a unmanaged and a managed switch. 

Message 2 of 21
pierre22
Aspirant

What model of unmanaged switch do you recommend?

Message 3 of 21
plemans
Guru

I don't. 

I've used several different brands/types of unmanaged switches and they've all worked fine. I used to see reports of issues with them but haven't in quite a while. So pick the one with the ports you needs (plus some for expansion) and go with that. 

Message 4 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

NG GS-105/108v4 and GS308v3, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems.

@pierre22 wrote:

What model of unmanaged switch do you recommend?

Message 5 of 21
pierre22
Aspirant

This product can be fine for the configuration 

https://www.zyxel.com/it/it/products/switch/8-16-24-port-gbe-unmanaged-switch-gs1100-series

or better a switch netgear?

Message 6 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 7 of 21
pierre22
Aspirant

I have Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router (RBR50) with a satellite, I can connect the switch to the router and the satellite via cable to the switch because I need to network both a PC and a printer.

Message 8 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 9 of 21
pierre22
Aspirant

I want to create a network like the following that allows me to share files.Home networkHome network

In this way I can continue to use the wifi network for mobile devices?

Message 10 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes.

Message 11 of 21
pierre22
Aspirant

One last question, since I have to upgrade the network from ADSL to fiber and I have to pass the cables inside the walls, which ethernet cable do you recommend?

Message 12 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

CAT6A STP. What I put in wall when I put in a home addition about 10 years ago. Then run CAT6 UTP cabling from wall to devices works fine. 

Message 13 of 21
pierre22
Aspirant

Is the utp 6a cable shielded or should I use the stp one?

Message 14 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

(S)hielded Twisted Pair and (Un)shielded Twisted Pair

Message 15 of 21
pierre22
Aspirant

Good afternoon, some devices are about 100 meters away from the switch and the LAN cables should pass next to the electric wires, which cable do you recommend, because they told me that a shielded 7 cable is more performing over 15 meters.
Message 16 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

CAT6A STP and up will suffice. As long as its STP.

Message 17 of 21
pierre22
Aspirant

Good afternoon, where can I find a good guide for crimping cat.6a STP cables.

Message 18 of 21
plemans
Guru

youtube is great at that

Message 19 of 21
pierre22
Aspirant

Some talk about connecting the shield to earth ground, but you don't see anything in the videos.

Message 20 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7