Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Mobile devices keep disconnecting from Wifi network.

BasHome
Aspirant

Mobile devices keep disconnecting from Wifi network.

Hi there,  (i'am dutch but i'll try in English)

I bought a Orbi setup with 1 router and two sattalite's a fue months back. I had CAT5 inside my home but never had a good internet connection ore WIFI. So,i decided to change those to CAT6A to get better wired performance and hopefely a better wifi connection.

After a bit of work i got all the cables changed except for one cable that runs to my backyard.  I also have to network switches inside my network. 

My network layout is like this.

Modem: Ziggo (wifi function turnd off) connected to COAX.
ORBI Router: RBR20 FIRMware version V2.5.1.16 (Connected with a CAT6A cable into port 1 at my modem)
TP Link 1GB switch (connected to my ORBI router with a CAT6A cable)

ORBI Satellite RBS20 (connected with a CAT5 cable to my TP link Switch)
Network switch (unbranded) (Connected true a walloutlet, then connected to my TP LINK Switch)
Ikea Home Hub (connected true a CAT6A to my TP link Switch)
Trust Smart Home Hub (connected true a CAT6A to my TP Link switch)

Devices Wired:
TV (Connected true a CAT6A cable to my Unbranded switch)
Ziggo Media box (connect with CAT6A to my unbranded switch)
Sonos Playbar (connect with CAT6A to my unbranded switch)

Mobile Devices:
Sonos One speaker (wifi true my Sonos Playbar)
Sonos One speaker (wifi true my Sonos Playbar)
Nintendo Switch (Connected with my Router true WIFI 5ghz)
Google Nest Mini (Connected with my Router true WIFI 5ghz)
Ring doorbell (Connected with my Router true WIFI 2.4ghz)
2x Ipad  (Connected with my Router true WIFI 5ghz)
2x Apple Smartphone (Connected with my Router true WIFI 5ghz) 
SmartPhone Samsung Galxy S20 ( Connected with my Router true WIFI 2.4/5ghz)
HP Company Laptop ( Connected with my Router true WIFI 5ghz)
Smart Camra ( Connected with my Router true WIFI 2.4ghz)

All wired connections are working fine! Havn't had a issue with those.

But i do have alot off connection problems with my 2 Apple Smartphones, 2 Apple iPads and my Company Laptop.

I can't seems to figure out what the problem could be and i hope some one could help me ore point me in the right direction to solve this problem.

Kind regards, 
Bas

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
BasHome
Aspirant

To all that helped me, to find the problem ore any.

I finaly found the problem!
and solved it. Yes like a fue said, something must send a different IP adres.
That was indeed the problem, and the thing that caused it was my Ziggo media box. It has the option to function as a router.
So went in to settings and turned it off.
Now all my devices are now connected to my main Orbi router and everything is working like it should do!

To all, thank you for the support!!

Kind regards
Bas

View solution in original post

Message 25 of 26

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

TP Link 1GB switch (connected to my ORBI router with a CAT6A cable) 

What model# is this switch?

ORBI Satellite RBS20 (connected with a CAT5 cable to my TP link Switch) You should not mix cat versions, keep same CAT# with more current version. CAT6 or 6A. CAT5 is older not doesn't support 1000Mpbs. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 2 of 26
BasHome
Aspirant

Hi Furrye38,

Awnser 1. The TP Link is a: TL-SG105E "Unmanaged" and using it straight out of the box, i havn't changed anything on it.

Awnser 2. I know i should not, but this cable is about 20 meters and goes under ground. So, i know he won't be capable to get 1000mbps.
But it's for my back yard and won't have much devices connected anyway. Maybe in the summer for streaming some music.
The network connection is great at the moment and i can stream music with ease.

Awnser 3. My home is about 130m2. But, at the moment i only talk about downstairs and thats bout 62m2. 
My ORBI router is in the closet underneath the "wooden" stairs behind a plasterboard about 3cm thik. So he should give more then enough coveridge for my downstairs devices. My Company laptop is about 3meters away from it. So is my own "Apple Iphone, smartphone" about 3 meters.

My first satallite (the other one needs to go on the first floor) is in the backyard cabbin. But this one is a wired connection, thats connected to the TP Link Switch.

Awnser 4.  for my 5ghz connection i use channel 36 for my 2.4ghz connection i use channel automatic. I'll try and set it do a different channel.
About my Wifi neighbours. I live on a street, there all houses nearby and i can see about 4/5 different wifi connections.
Awnser 5. I did enabled Beamforming but it did not have any effect. I did not enabled MU-MIMO, is that something i should try?
Awnser 6. Fast Roaming is off, i never touch that. IPv6 is off, never touch that either. But i don't have the option you mention in the option list at IPv6. Amor and Circle are off. 
I don't know what you mean with the option "Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes"

All wired items work perfect. Even the Samsung smartphone and Nintendo switch work with ease. But my Apple products and company laptop can't seem to connect. I see a full WIFI connecton bar. But when i'am connected it has not internet connection... 

Thanks for you're help and i hope my awnser make it a bit more clear.

Message 3 of 26
BasHome
Aspirant

i Changed my 2.4ghz chanel to 6.

I enabled Beamforming and MU-MIMO

But no joy so far. My Apple devices and company laptop can still connect to the network but without a internet connection.

Message 4 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes try enabling MIMO.

What model apple devices do you have and what is the iOS version installed? 

You can try this as a quick test to see if the devies will connect or not, change the WPA2 setting to disabled temporarily. And apply the change. See if the devices connect or not. Re-enable WPA2 and AES after testing this. 

Orbi RBR should be on main floor and in a open area if possible. Closets and basement areas not not recommended for the main router to be located in. 

Message 5 of 26
BasHome
Aspirant

My mobile phone is a iPhone XS running iOS 14.2 my iPad’s i don’t know at the moment. I have to check.
But my company laptop is a HP

Okay, I’ll try to switch it off and see iff I can connect.

The orbi unit is not capable to go anywhere else. Because I have no cables to connect it to.
So the spot is on the first floor but in a closed high off the ground close to the wall.
But let me set this straight. The signal that my orbi router is pushing it 100% and my other mobile device such as my Nintendo has no problems connecting and using the internet.
My WiFi signal on the phone is there and 100% but just no internet connection.
Message 6 of 26
BasHome
Aspirant

FamRiebeekHome is my network.
I am on the second floor and as you can see I have full signal.
I can connect but no internet.
I’ll try in a bit to disable the security
Message 7 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep us posted...

Message 8 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

@BasHome wrote:

All wired items work perfect. Even the Samsung smartphone and Nintendo switch work with ease. But my Apple products and company laptop can't seem to connect. I see a full WIFI connecton bar. But when i'am connected it has not internet connection...

Is Access Control  enabled on the Orbi?

On the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net), menu item Attached Devices, above "Connected Satellites" will be a line that says "Access Control turned on" (or off).

One of the things that Apple did in a recent software update was change the default setting on the WiFi adapter from "Use the physical MAC address" to "randomize the MAC address".  This is supposed to enhance security by making the iPhone (iPad) appear to be a different device on every network it connects to.  I find it a royal pain in the (body part).

On that Attached Devices page, there should be entries for the iPhones, iPads, and HP laptop showing which IP address the Orbi has assigned to each.

Message 9 of 26
BasHome
Aspirant

Well I did what you asked.
But no joy, after i disabled security it was even harder to connect to the WiFi connection. But when I got the connection, I still couldn’t visit a web page.
I set the security back reboot the router and even my Apple devices but still no joy.
Message 10 of 26
BasHome
Aspirant

Since i can’t get on to the WiFi connection with my devices I have to wait until my wife comes home from work to do these steps on her phone.

There is a switch on my Apple devices in the WiFi settings menu that says privacy. When you turn this off apple notify mee my phone can now be spotted easer on WiFi connections.

But I’ll give it a go in a moment.
Message 11 of 26
BasHome
Aspirant

Well I went in true my wife’s phone.
That still hase a perfect connection.
Btw I have to mention that befor I changed my network cables I did not have this issue with my iPads and iPhones.

But, acces control was turn on.
I saw that a iPad was connected and one off my iPhones.
I also saw that my own iPhone was not connected but off it did then I may have acces.
I removed my phone from the list, reconnect to the WiFi and it showed in the list off devices that had acces. But I still did not have any internet connection.
I shut off the acces control. But still nothing changed.

I also turn off the WMM for the 2.4ghz WiFi but this did not make any change.
I reboot the router, reboot my phone but still. Nothing happenend.

I’m starting to lose my mind!

All wired devices work like a charm. Sure my tv has to be turn on and then wait for a fue sec to obtain a internet connection. But my Nintendo and my wife’s phone are working with not problems at all.
So that means the problem has to be in a setting or in my Apple devices.

But still like I mention befor. I had it working befor I changed all my cables. But those can’t be the problem to this.

Below you see some pictures.

IPHONE-VAN-BAS
is my iPhone, that is connected at that time but did not have a internet connection.
Message 12 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

@BasHome wrote:
There is a switch on my Apple devices in the WiFi settings menu that says privacy. When you turn this off apple notify mee my phone can now be spotted easer on WiFi connections.

Notice the third paragraph: "Turn private..."

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227 

This sounds a lot like your situation.  i.e. the device connects, but does not get internet access.

Access Control (on the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Security) can be on or off, AND when on it can either allow or deny new devices.

Until things are working, I would (a) leave access control OFF, and (b) set the iPhone to use the regular MAC address.

I agree completely that changing out ethernet cables should have no effect on this problem.  That is totally simple to verify: unplug the ethernet cable from the back of the RBR20 router.  This removes everything from the picture except the router itself. (no switches, no satellites, no TV's, no X-Boxes, no Nintendos, no Sonos.... all gone.).  If the iPhone (or HP) will not connect to the router itself, then the issue is almost certainly with the device.

Message 13 of 26
fmalloy
Luminary

Looks like your failing Apple devices all have assigned IP addresses of 192.168.192.xx, while your working devices are all 192.168.1.xx, which looks like the problem. Orbi should assign only 192.168.1.xx (unless you changed it) Why is the 192 being assigned only for those Apple devices?

Could something else (other router or switch) be assigning those bad 192 IP addresses?

In your iPhone, go to: Settings > WiFi and tap the "i" for your checked WiFi network. What does it say under IPV4 ADDRESS for Configure IP - is it Automatic?

Message 14 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

After turning OFF access control, try a power OFF of the RBR then back on. Wondering if Access controls is messing things up. 

@BasHome wrote:
Well I went in true my wife’s phone.
That still hase a perfect connection.
Btw I have to mention that befor I changed my network cables I did not have this issue with my iPads and iPhones.

But, acces control was turn on.
I saw that a iPad was connected and one off my iPhones.
I also saw that my own iPhone was not connected but off it did then I may have acces.
I removed my phone from the list, reconnect to the WiFi and it showed in the list off devices that had acces. But I still did not have any internet connection.
I shut off the acces control. But still nothing changed.

I also turn off the WMM for the 2.4ghz WiFi but this did not make any change.
I reboot the router, reboot my phone but still. Nothing happenend.

I’m starting to lose my mind!

All wired devices work like a charm. Sure my tv has to be turn on and then wait for a fue sec to obtain a internet connection. But my Nintendo and my wife’s phone are working with not problems at all.
So that means the problem has to be in a setting or in my Apple devices.

But still like I mention befor. I had it working befor I changed all my cables. But those can’t be the problem to this.

Below you see some pictures.

IPHONE-VAN-BAS
is my iPhone, that is connected at that time but did not have a internet connection.

Message 15 of 26
BasHome
Aspirant

I did, after i turned acces control off i rebooted my router. But, still nothing. 

Message 16 of 26
BasHome
Aspirant

@fmalloy wrote:

Looks like your failing Apple devices all have assigned IP addresses of 192.168.192.xx, while your working devices are all 192.168.1.xx, which looks like the problem. Orbi should assign only 192.168.1.xx (unless you changed it) Why is the 192 being assigned only for those Apple devices?

Could something else (other router or switch) be assigning those bad 192 IP addresses?

In your iPhone, go to: Settings > WiFi and tap the "i" for your checked WiFi network. What does it say under IPV4 ADDRESS for Configure IP - is it Automatic?

Yes, i saw that. Not only my Apple devices but also my Nest mini. Even that device can't connect with internet but is connected with a full signal wifi. My nest is on 192.168.192.50

On my Apple iPhone i got (with out privacy on) 
IP: 192.168.192.34
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.192.1

When my privacy settings on:

IP: 192.168.192.55

There is no other wireless device that can give these ip adresses. because i only have one router, 2 switches and one modem thats not pushing any wifi signal because i turned that off.

At the moment only 3 wireless devices are connected.

My wifes Samsung Galaxy S20 with 5ghz with IP: 192.168.1.2  <-- connected with good internet connection
Ring doorbell with 2.4ghz with IP: 192.168.1.9  <-- connected with good internet connection
Nest Mini with 5ghz with IP 192.168.192.50 <-- can't connect with the internet, but has a full signal.

The only thing i could do is reset my router back to default and start over all again.. but why should i? 

In my case i think it's the last option i have i did try everything. And i don't know why most off my devices

Message 17 of 26
BasHome
Aspirant

@fmalloy wrote:

Ow and yes it's automatic, i even try to set the IP adres by hand and my router saw my phone but i could not get a signal and no internet connection

Message 18 of 26
BasHome
Aspirant

Right, because I got so frustrated. I used drastic measures and reset my router and satellites.

At the moment, no switches are connected.
Router settings haven’t been changed accept for the SSiD and the security code.
My iPhone now has a good WiFi signal and internet connection. Also my iPhone got a correct IP shown in the picture below.

Now I have done that, next step is to try and connect my other devices true cable by using the switches. So, fingers crossed.
Message 19 of 26
BasHome
Aspirant

Okay, at the moment my iPhone is still connected with a good signal and internet connection.

So far I take it step by step.
As we speak my TP link switch is connected, included my 1e satellite that’s connected by wire to the TP link and my ikea Home smart hub. Also connected by wire to my switch.

So far so good.

Next step is to introduce my second switch.
That’s connected by wire to my tp link
And on that switch are tv, Sonos and ziggo media box connected.
Again fingers crossed.
Message 20 of 26
BasHome
Aspirant

Ow, what I did notice was that my ring doorbell sometimes disappears from the device view in the app.
What could that be? It’s system is connected to my router bij WiFi and uses a 2.4ghz.
Do I need to give it a static ip, like a reserved ip for only that system?
Message 21 of 26
fmalloy
Luminary

@BasHome wrote:

@fmalloy wrote:

Yes, i saw that. Not only my Apple devices but also my Nest mini. Even that device can't connect with internet but is connected with a full signal wifi. My nest is on 192.168.192.50

On my Apple iPhone i got (with out privacy on) 
IP: 192.168.192.34

When my privacy settings on:

IP: 192.168.192.55

There is no other wireless device that can give these ip adresses. because i only have one router, 2 switches and one modem thats not pushing any wifi signal because i turned that off.

At the moment only 3 wireless devices are connected.

My wifes Samsung Galaxy S20 with 5ghz with IP: 192.168.1.2  <-- connected with good internet connection
Ring doorbell with 2.4ghz with IP: 192.168.1.9  <-- connected with good internet connection
Nest Mini with 5ghz with IP 192.168.192.50 <-- can't connect with the internet, but has a full signal.

The only thing i could do is reset my router back to default and start over all again.. but why should i? 

In my case i think it's the last option i have i did try everything. And i don't know why most off my devices

The problem is related to the 192.168.192.xx IP addresses your Apple devices are assigned. Above, your iPhone says the Router is 192.168.192.1, but your Orbi router should be 192.168.1.1.

And your screenshot of the IP address that Orbi has for your iPhone has the 192.168.1.xx IP, but your iPhone says differently.

This is your problem. You need to find out what is assigning 192.168.192.xx IP addresses to your Apple devices. It doesn't matter what WiFi signal you get - if it's not got the correct IP address coming from the correct router, you're not going to receive internet traffic.

Something is assigning IP addresses to your Apple devices that is 192.168.192.xx.

Message 22 of 26
fmalloy
Luminary

If you go to the Orbi router web page and go to LAN setup for DHCP, what is the range defined? It should be something like 192.168.1.2 up to 192.168.1.254

We need to find out where the 192.168.192.xx IP addresses are coming from. Do you have any Apple device set up as some kind of router?

Message 23 of 26
Mikey94025
Hero

@fmalloy wrote:

If you go to the Orbi router web page and go to LAN setup for DHCP, what is the range defined? It should be something like 192.168.1.2 up to 192.168.1.254

We need to find out where the 192.168.192.xx IP addresses are coming from. Do you have any Apple device set up as some kind of router?

Agree - Let's check your DNS config setup.  Go to orbilogin.com, Advanced... Setup... LAN Setup and screen shot what you have there.  Also show us Advanced... Setup... Internet Setup so we can see your Internet IP address and IP Subnet Mask.  Do you recall changing any of these settings from the default?

Message 24 of 26
BasHome
Aspirant

To all that helped me, to find the problem ore any.

I finaly found the problem!
and solved it. Yes like a fue said, something must send a different IP adres.
That was indeed the problem, and the thing that caused it was my Ziggo media box. It has the option to function as a router.
So went in to settings and turned it off.
Now all my devices are now connected to my main Orbi router and everything is working like it should do!

To all, thank you for the support!!

Kind regards
Bas
Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7