Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Moving to Ireland

NMTibet
Follower

Moving to Ireland

We are moving to Ireland later this year. Will we be able to use our Orbi system simply with an adaptor or will we need an electric converter? (We have the Router and (3) RBS750 satellites.)

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Moving to Ireland

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Moving to Ireland

@NMTibet wrote:

We are moving to Ireland later this year. Will we be able to use our Orbi system simply with an adaptor or will we need an electric converter? (We have the Router and (3) RBS750 satellites.)

I am pretty sure you are already aware that electrical outlets in Ireland are identical to the rest of the UK: 230volts at 50Hz with that monster UK plug.  An adapter is therefore obvious.  The question boils down to whether Orbi power supplies are "world capable" or are designed specifically for the country where they are being sold

I would first look closely at the power supply.  If it says "110-240v", then all you neeed is an adapter. Problem solved.

If not, things get more complicated.

Page 132 of the User Manual says about Power Adapters:

North America: 120V, 60 Hz, input
UK, Australia: 240V, 50 Hz, input
Europe: 230V, 50 Hz, input
All regions (output): 12V, 3.5A DC output

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK752/RBK752_UM_EN.pdf 

This would tend to support the idea that converters will be required.

This question has come up many times in the context of the original Orbi product and there have been posts claiming that the actual power supplies will take both 120volt and 230volt power, both 50 and 60 Hz and that the only thing that matters is that 3.5A DC at 12V comes  out of the power supply. The reasoning goes along the lines of, "Thousands of products now have universal power supplies. What reason would Netgear have not to follow that strategy?"

My network infrastructure has become so essential to daily life that I protect the ISP modem, Orbi router, and Orbi satellites with UPS units.  I have read too many posts about "there was a power surge and...".

Another issue to confront is that WiFi radio regulations differ by country. It will be necessary to change the Region Code in the Orbi router from North America to (whatever is correct for Ireland - UK?  Europe?)  There have been several posts over the years explaining how to do this.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7