Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Multiple SSIDs

emaniat
Aspirant

Multiple SSIDs

Hi,

I am really leaning towards the Orbis since the layout of my house would require a mesh network.  I've used APs with range extenders in the past without good results.  

I do have a question.  Will there be a firmware upgrade to allow the Usage of multiple SSIDs?  I have a unique situation where I am heavy in to Home Automation (2.4ghz band) and I want to segregate it from the 5ghz band, which will encompass all of my other devices. 

Also can you bypass the Disney Circle Parental Control and Use the Netgear Parental Controls like in the other APs?

Any info is appreciated.  

Thanks

Model: RBK44| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Yes you can have three SSIDs. While you can change channels, that's not the same thing as assigning bands (2.4 vs 5 GHz) to each SSID. I'm pretty sure you can't do it, just like you can't do it with the non-pro Orbi. (Other than the telnet workaround.)

If you want to truly isolate your IOT devices and you want separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, you would be better off with something like a Ubiquiti Unifi AP and one of their VLAN-aware routers.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 12

All Replies
tagteam
Virtuoso

Not sure about Circle, but there is a procedure for separating the bands, although not in the UI.

See https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

Message 2 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

the Orbi is designed for a single SSID using Smart Connect technology. It's based on letting this feature automatically handle where devices get connected based on there support features and signals. It also is a feature of the MESH system. If you need to have separate SSIDs for wifi then it's recommended to get a router that hs the ability to disable smart connect. Orbi doesn't allow officially to disable this feature due to this design on there system. 

@emaniatwrote:

Hi,

I am really leaning towards the Orbis since the layout of my house would require a mesh network.  I've used APs with range extenders in the past without good results.  

I do have a question.  Will there be a firmware upgrade to allow the Usage of multiple SSIDs?  I have a unique situation where I am heavy in to Home Automation (2.4ghz band) and I want to segregate it from the 5ghz band, which will encompass all of my other devices. 

Also can you bypass the Disney Circle Parental Control and Use the Netgear Parental Controls like in the other APs?

Any info is appreciated.  

Thanks

Message 3 of 12
emaniat
Aspirant

Would the Orbi Pro do what I’m looking for?
Model: SRS60| Orbi Pro Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Check the user manual if one is available and see if it has an option to disable Smart Connect or set up separate SSIDs.

Message 5 of 12
emaniat
Aspirant

Thanks. I’ll get online and see if I can find one.
Model: SRS60| Orbi Pro Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 6 of 12
emaniat
Aspirant

Ok.  I got online, found the Orbi Pro install manual.  If I'm reading it correctly - it looks like on Page 64 that you do in fact have 3 separate SSIDs and that you can configure which SSID uses which channel (i.e. 2.4ghz or 5ghz).  Can anyone else confirm this from real world usage or from another source other than the Netgear Owners/Install Manual or can Netgear confirm this? 

As Always - Thanks for all of your assistance

Message 7 of 12
st_shaw
Master

Yes you can have three SSIDs. While you can change channels, that's not the same thing as assigning bands (2.4 vs 5 GHz) to each SSID. I'm pretty sure you can't do it, just like you can't do it with the non-pro Orbi. (Other than the telnet workaround.)

If you want to truly isolate your IOT devices and you want separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, you would be better off with something like a Ubiquiti Unifi AP and one of their VLAN-aware routers.

Message 8 of 12
emaniat
Aspirant

Thanks for the info.  Definitely answers my question on the bands.  I'll look into the Ubiquiti Unifi setup.  Not sure if the wife would like all of the networking equipment in our living room.  As for that matter since I work with this stuff all day long I don't know if I'd like it in the living room either. Lol... 

Is their stuff easy to work with?  Two of my friends whom are network engineers have the Unifi's at home and recommended them.  I was just trying to find something in the middle that could be easy on the eyes and yet do it's job.

Message 9 of 12
emaniat
Aspirant

Do all 3 ssids then use both 2.4 & 5ghz?
Message 10 of 12
st_shaw
Master

@emaniat wrote:
Do all 3 ssids then use both 2.4 & 5ghz?

Yes

Message 11 of 12
st_shaw
Master

@emaniat wrote:

Is their stuff easy to work with?  Two of my friends whom are network engineers have the Unifi's at home and recommended them.  I was just trying to find something in the middle that could be easy on the eyes and yet do it's job.

The APs and controller are esy to work with. The routers require a bit more learning. A fair amount of study online and on their forums is required to get the most out of them.

I have the APs on top of furniture and find they are almost invisible.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7