Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My Camera APP is being blocked access when in ORBI

ProfQ
Aspirant

My Camera APP is being blocked access when in ORBI

I have been using my Orbi RBK20 mesh with three satellites for a couple of years. Very happy with it. But I have an issue with getting my eufy Security camera signals received by the App on my iPhone when connected to the Orbi. The app and the cameras work perfectly everywhere else, even on 5G. But when connect using my Orbi's Wi-Fi, the cameras (cameras that are located on another property) fail to connect to, and show up in the eufy APP. If I swith to the cellphone network, or connect to another Wi-Fi network, everything works. How do I fix this? Please help.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
ProfQ
Aspirant

Re: My Camera APP is being blocked access when in ORBI

It ended up being a setup issue with my Internet provider. I run two WiFi networks at home, one with the Orbi for max coverage, and a second one with a VPN enabled netgear router. As part of the tests I was running to diagnose the issue, since I saw it was the provider's modem/router the culprit, I connected my iPhone to my VPN Wifi router instead of the Orbi, and everything worked. Retested by connecting to my Orbi, with my Phone's VPN enabled, and it also worked. I could see and access all my eufy cameras via the eufy app on my iPhone.

Thanks again for helping me sort this out.

Cheers,

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway is the orbi connected to? 

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Can you please confirm:

• There are Eufy cameras at both locations?
  • The same Eufy acount login was used to set up the cameras at both locations?

I suspect that the Eufy app has detected that it is connected to a LAN that has Eufy cameras on the LAN and has chosen not to connect to the Eufy "cloud" to search for cameras. When connected to some random WiFi network or using LTE, it find no local cameras and thus defaults to the cloud to find some.

We have a similar (but reversed) issue with the Orbi 'app'. Anywhere access defaults to the Netgear Cloud even when the Orbi router is on the same LAN as the device running the app, which means that a local connection would be more efficient.

Now, how to confirm (or refute) this hypothesis???

Does the phenomenon persist in reverse?  i.e. when at the remote location, does the app find cameras there but not find cameras here?

What is your impression of Eufy support? (are they generally helpful? knowledgeable?)

Message 3 of 9
ProfQ
Aspirant

Thanks for the input, and your reply. The app and the cameras work perfectly in any network I've tried, except at home, I can even access the Eufy App and cameras using my mobile network, no problem. Only problem has been @Home, where I have the Orbi mesh. Based on another member's input, I decided to bypass the Orbi and try connecting straight to my Carrier's cable modem/wifi router. Here, for the first time beyond the Orbi, the problem persisted. I couldn't connect to the cameras. Thanks to that, now I know that the problem is with them. I've elevated the issue to Liberty's (My Cable provider's) tech support. But it's not the Orbi, thankfully.

Lt's see how that goes.  Thanks again for all your help.

Message 4 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@ProfQ wrote:

I decided to bypass the Orbi and try connecting straight to my Carrier's cable modem/wifi router. Here, for the first time beyond the Orbi, the problem persisted. I couldn't connect to the cameras.

I had assumed that there are Eufy cameras at both locations.  Is that correct?

If so, does the Eufy app connect to the local cameras correctly, just not to the remote cameras?

Is the Orbi RBR20 in 'router' or 'access point' mode?

Message 5 of 9
ProfQ
Aspirant

I have a number of Eufy cameras at the remote location. None at my home. Another brand here. All those Eufy cameras appear on the Eufy Security app on my iPhone, and the app and cameras connect without issues everywhere except at home, where I have this internet provider, and the Orbi mesh. The RBR 20 router is connected via Cat6 cable to the provider's modem, and my three satellites to that Orbi router via WiFi.

Hope that answers your questions.

Cheers,

Message 6 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for your patience.  Since there is nothing at the Home location for the Eufy security app to detect, my hypothesis is obviously invalid.

Darn.

Message 7 of 9
ProfQ
Aspirant

No worries.

I also love my Orbi, and even more now that I know it's not the culprit for this Eufy Cameras snafu.

R.

Message 8 of 9
ProfQ
Aspirant

It ended up being a setup issue with my Internet provider. I run two WiFi networks at home, one with the Orbi for max coverage, and a second one with a VPN enabled netgear router. As part of the tests I was running to diagnose the issue, since I saw it was the provider's modem/router the culprit, I connected my iPhone to my VPN Wifi router instead of the Orbi, and everything worked. Retested by connecting to my Orbi, with my Phone's VPN enabled, and it also worked. I could see and access all my eufy cameras via the eufy app on my iPhone.

Thanks again for helping me sort this out.

Cheers,

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7