× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My ORBI RBK53 router has a different network name than my RBS50 sattelites

TonyBalloni
Aspirant

My ORBI RBK53 router has a different network name than my RBS50 sattelites

After a complete factory reset of my RBK53 router and my two RBS satellites my router has a different network name than my two sattellites. So I have now two WiFi networks and both working fine.

However, I have to use two different logins. (working well).

With the two sattelites using the standard ORBI73 network name and password that is written on the bottom of the satteliites.

So the question is, how can I change the sattelites so they work with the same network name and login as the router?

Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: My ORBI RBK53 router has a different network name than my RBS50 sattelites

Just a tiny "housekeeping" note:  The model number RBK53 refers to a "Kit" consisting of one RBR50 ("R" for router) and two RBS50 ("S" for satellite).

When Factory Reset, WiFi is supposed to be reset to the credentials printed on the product label.  In a "Kit", the credentials should be the same on the router and the two satellites.  Can you please check the label on the router to see if it matches the label on the satellites?

Trivia:

Most WiFi manufacturers these days are aware of the tiny possibility that two neighbors would wind up with identical WiFi systems, so the common practice is to make the default WiFi credentials where there is a very low chance of this happening.  Some companies tack on part of the hardware MAC address or a random string of characters, such as ATTxkS8CcI.  Netgear's practice is to use the letters "ORBI" plus a two digit number (in your case ORBI73) and the password is two common words plus a number.  Even if next door neighbors both purchase Netgear Orbi systems, the chances of them having the same WiFi name are 1 out of 98 and having the same WiFi password is nearly zero.

Many users change the WiFi credentials to match the system that is being replaced so that all the WiFi devices in the house will simply connect to the new system without needing to be updated to new credentials.  (I have had the same WiFi name for 20 years and at least five WiFi systems!)

Message 2 of 6
TonyBalloni
Aspirant

My router has indeed the same login and password written on it as the sattelites that came as a kit.

I changed my router to a different network name and password but that was not passed through to the sattelites.

I also changed my router to AP mode, but that has probably nothing to do with my problem?

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks.  That is a relief to hear that the factory did what it was supposed to.

How are the satellites connected to the router?

• Using the default WiFi connection?
  • Using Ethernet cables?
    (If so, are the satellites connected directly to LAN ports on the back of the router, or are all of the Orbi units connected to an Ethernet switch?)
Message 4 of 6
TonyBalloni
Aspirant

My satellites are connected by an Ethernet cable and switches.
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What CAT# lan cable are you using? 
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch(s) in the configuration?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series