× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NEED TO GET WIFI INTO METAL BUILDING

Grumpy1040
Aspirant

NEED TO GET WIFI INTO METAL BUILDING

I have a working AC3000 system with a 2nd satellite.  House as the router and one satellite. My shop is a metal building with the 2nd satellite about 80 feet away. I’m tired of having the rollup door open for the 2nd satellite to work. So I’m thinking of adding a point to point to the shop. I don’t want to run a cable underground do to granite rocks. I have seen some posts that you can’t have an Orbi system with a point to point and a satellite on the end.  So my question can I use a 2nd Orbi router in AP mode at the end of the point to point or will I need a different AP just for the shop.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Grumpy1040
Aspirant

Re: NEED TO GET WIFI INTO METAL BUILDING

It worked with no problems, I used a

QWNET CPE5450 Wireless Bridge Kit, worked with no problems. Aimed them with a laser. hooked up the master to the Orbi router through a Netgear gigabit switch, verified wired internet with lap top at the satellite 2, verified Orbi satellite 2 is now showing a wired back haul. And now we have wireless in the metal building with the doors closed. I didnt even need to change there addresses. 

View solution in original post

Model: MBR1310|3G/4G LTE Gateways
Message 8 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Run a buried CAT6A LAN cable from the house to the metal building then connect the RBS as follows:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@Grumpy1040 wrote:

I have a working AC3000 system with a 2nd satellite.  House as the router and one satellite. My shop is a metal building with the 2nd satellite about 80 feet away. I’m tired of having the rollup door open for the 2nd satellite to work. So I’m thinking of adding a point to point to the shop. I don’t want to run a cable underground due to granite rocks. I have seen some posts that you can’t have an Orbi system with a point to point and a satellite on the end.  So my question can I use a 2nd Orbi router in AP mode at the end of the point to point or will I need a different AP just for the shop.

Because WiFi does not penetrate metal walls, what is needed is the equivalent of an ethernet cable from one of the Orbi units inside the house to the Orbi satellite inside the metal building.  As @FURRYe38 pointed out, the most common solution is to bury an actual ethernet cable (usually inside a PVC conduit so it can be replaced easily in the future).  The second most common solution would be to place an ethernet cable aerially. People often object to this on esthetic grounds (ugly) or because it is difficult.

An alternative is to use a point-to-point radio link  which appears to both ends to be an ethernet cable.

Some posts have mentioned using a pair of Ubiquiti Nano Stations: one mounted at the house (either indoors or outdoors) and the other mounted on the outside wall of the shop. Take a look at the user reviews on this model:

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-NanoStation-loco-M2-Wireless/dp/B00HXT8FFI/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywo... Costing under $125 for two units, two PoE injectors, and one outdoor mounting mast (on the shop.  Why penetrate the house wall if the radio will blast through easily?)

There must be a dozen companies making similar products (Netgear has one, but the cost is substantially higher than other brands).

Message 3 of 9
Grumpy1040
Aspirant

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

5Ghz is more suseptible by building materials than 2.4Ghz is. 

Message 5 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@Grumpy1040 wrote:

I checked out that link. https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-NanoStation-loco-M2-Wireless/dp/B00HXT8FFI/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywo... 

its a 2.4 GHz Radio Frequency. Would I not be better off with a 5GHz radio like this ??? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072Y5S8YX/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1OHD547O9KZHH&psc=1

"Better off" is a subjective question.  The QWNET, with 57 product reviews on Amazon claims a higher bandwidth. If it works, it sounds great.  Specs, brand reputation, and customer service are all considerations.  Notice the reviews stating, "ignore the instructions".

I often struggle with a choices between "major brands" and  relatively unknown brands.

Since Amazon has a 30 day "no questions return policy", the only down side to buying a product is the time invested in it.

My original point is that placing a physical ethernet cable is "Plan A".  When that is impractical, there are alternatives such as a point to point wireless bridge.  In this case, one end of the wireless bridge can probably be installed "indoors" and will easily penetrate the house walls.  The metal shop wall will most likely require the far end to be mounted outside.  If there was a window in the shop that faced the house, the far end could probably be located in the window, which would remove the need to penetrate the exterior wall (and weather seal the penetration.)

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Definally give it a demo try. Nothing wrong in trying it out and sending it back if it doesn't. 

Message 7 of 9
Grumpy1040
Aspirant

It worked with no problems, I used a

QWNET CPE5450 Wireless Bridge Kit, worked with no problems. Aimed them with a laser. hooked up the master to the Orbi router through a Netgear gigabit switch, verified wired internet with lap top at the satellite 2, verified Orbi satellite 2 is now showing a wired back haul. And now we have wireless in the metal building with the doors closed. I didnt even need to change there addresses. 

Model: MBR1310|3G/4G LTE Gateways
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Thanks for letting us know. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series