Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NETGEAR Orbi High-performance

jnaki
Aspirant

NETGEAR Orbi High-performance

hello,

we currently have wifi in a harbor marina.  it is spotty to say the least.  before i purchase the

NETGEAR Orbi High-performance   AC3000 Tri-band Mesh WiFi System (RBK50)   we want to know if the system will work on our boat in the marina? we have shore power and all of the necessary wiring components.  but, we are leary about this ORBI working for us.  we use several devices, a laptop, and of course our cell phones.   thanks..

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

@jnaki wrote:

hello,

thanks for the information.  we are not planning to use it for outdoor use.  we would have it inside of the cabin to catch the marina wi fi signal and boost it for all of the devices and laptop.  currently, if the device goes into another cabin, the signal is spotty.  fiberglass walls, lots of opening windows, a large opening entrance and walkway to get to the inside cabin. all protected from any inclement weather.  will it work inside of the cabin for all of our devices?  from the marina wifi signal, there are obviously many aluminum masts sticking up to create a myriad of interference structures. 

thanks

so im assuming you would be able to place the orbi router in the marine office as the router needs to be connected to ethernet and the sat then connects to the router via wifi

the orbi router is not a repeater or extender as such and nether is the sat apart from connecting to the orbi router

------------------------

i think you have the wrong idea of what the orbi is capable of

i think what you need is more an omni directional reciever that you can place on the mast and run down by ethernet to somewhere inside the cabin where you would then run a wireless router to then feed wifi throughoutt the boat

something like ( but not restricted to ) ubiquiti outdoor access point in client bridge mode connected down to a cheap wireless router in the cabin

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies

the orbi system is not outdoor rated

so how are you intending to use the orbi and how big is the boat and whats it made of

Message 2 of 5
jnaki
Aspirant

hello,

thanks for the information.  we are not planning to use it for outdoor use.  we would have it inside of the cabin to catch the marina wi fi signal and boost it for all of the devices and laptop.  currently, if the device goes into another cabin, the signal is spotty.  fiberglass walls, lots of opening windows, a large opening entrance and walkway to get to the inside cabin. all protected from any inclement weather.  will it work inside of the cabin for all of our devices?  from the marina wifi signal, there are obviously many aluminum masts sticking up to create a myriad of interference structures. 

thanks

Message 3 of 5
gfrey
Apprentice

There are a lot of factors that go into WiFi performance even with Mesh networks.  It definitely might work out perfect for your application.  Just go to Best Buy (who has a 30 day return policy I believe) and buy a set to give it a try.  If it doesn't work out then Best Buy will give you a full refund.  I wasn't sold on the Orbi for my house so I bought a set at Best Buy.  It has been working great!  I am going to keep it and buy another Satellite when they become available.

Message 4 of 5

@jnaki wrote:

hello,

thanks

so im assuming you would be able to place the orbi router in the marine office as the router needs to be connected to ethernet and the sat then connects to the router via wifi

the orbi router is not a repeater or extender as such and nether is the sat apart from connecting to the orbi router

------------------------

i think you have the wrong idea of what the orbi is capable of

i think what you need is more an omni directional reciever that you can place on the mast and run down by ethernet to somewhere inside the cabin where you would then run a wireless router to then feed wifi throughoutt the boat

something like ( but not restricted to ) ubiquiti outdoor access point in client bridge mode connected down to a cheap wireless router in the cabin

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7