Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need help to determine what I need for a large house

Rick5421
Aspirant

Need help to determine what I need for a large house

I have understood that the Mesh system might be an appropriate choice for a large house?  I looked on line and I see a whole lot of choices and I cant find a page that actually showes comparisons and differences--

I have a 6000 sq ft home with a basement.   The home is serviced through a microwave receiver so the speed is not all that fast.  The service entrance is on one corner of the house so the main router will be located at that corner.

What system do I want that would be able to allow connections through the home?

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Need help to determine what I need for a large house

I would go with the RBK50 or 53 system for that size of home.

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/default.aspx

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

https://kb.netgear.com/000038220/What-are-the-hardware-specifications-of-the-available-Orbi-WiFi-Sys...

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Rick5421 wrote:

I have a 6000 sq ft home with a basement.   The home is serviced through a microwave receiver so the speed is not all that fast.  The service entrance is on one corner of the house so the main router will be located at that corner.

Good luck finding any useful information about competing products.  Everything available is "marketing" materials, i.e. not exactly "lies", but not exactly useful, either.

Perhaps people could make more nuanced suggestions if you could post crude diagrams of the house and mark where the "heavy users" are located (desktop computers, offices, streaming tv's).  A lot depends on the physical layout of the building, where there are brick or concrete walls, etc.

Message 3 of 6
Rick5421
Aspirant

The home is a wood/ exterior stucco construction.  I attached a rough floor plan.  I placed a note where the router and modem would be located on the top floor on the upper right side of the drawing.  Most usage would be on the opposite side of the house where the office space is located on the first floor.  I placed a note there also.

The plan has a red colored area showing on the top half of the drawing. This shows where the basement is located under the top floor.  The top floor lays on top of this area.  The basement contains a media room and TV which I probably would use some sort of wifi connection for?.  Basement is apprx 2000 sq feet.  

I appreciate the suggestion of the Mesh 53 model.  Not being an expert, it sounds like a logical system. I do want to do this correctly because of space and distance issues and if there are additional thoughts, I certainly am interested to hear. 

Thanks!   Rick

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I have a 5000 Sq Ft home, 2 story with basement. I have a RBK50 with just 1 satellite, wired. 40 feet away worked well. Also wireless works well when the RBS isn't in the basement. I know use a RBK853 with two satellites. Both wired. 

I think you'll be good to get the RBK53. You can start by installing it and see how it goes. Be sure place RBS out at 30 feet to start. I would start by installing one RBS at a time though. 

One thing you'll need to do first is you may have to update the entire system. If the RBR and RBS are at FW version v1.x you'll need to get the RBS syncd to the RBR. Then download v2.0.7.4, v212 and v2.5.1.8 FW files for the RBS and RBR. Apply the RBS FW first then RBR lastly for the v2.0.7.4. This gets you past v1.x. Then you need to apply v2.5.1.8 to the RBS. You wont need to apply v212 to the RBS. Lastly apply v.212 to the RBR then v2.5.1.8. Yes seems like a big hassle. This is only if your system comes out of the box with v1.x FW and doesn't update to something more recent. You may not have to if it's loaded with something more recent then v1.x. Lets hope it is. 

IF you get stuck, come back here and we can help you out. 

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Rick5421 wrote:

The home is a wood/ exterior stucco construction.  I attached a rough floor plan.  I placed a note where the router and modem would be located on the top floor on the upper right side of the drawing.  Most usage would be on the opposite side of the house where the office space is located on the first floor.  I placed a note there also.

Great drawing!  I agree that the RBK53 package would be a good start.  My first concern is when you need to "extend" the network reach to the far end of the building.  Security cameras, garage door openers, sprinkler controllers, outdoor smart plugs (Christmas decorations), etc.  It also matters what kind of floor it is.  I am guessing wood over regular joists.  Poured concrete can be a problem.

As @FURRYe38 mentioned in passing, Orbi satellites can be farther apart when they are connected with ethernet cable rather than WiFi for the "backhaul" link.  Also, using ethernet allows the farthest satellite to avoid the "Daisy Chain" hop to the first satellite.  Depending on construction, it might not be too difficult to run ethernet through the attic or basement.  (I REALLY miss having a one storey house!)

I would locate the router as far away from the corner as convenient.  Obviously, the ethernet connection cable can't run through doorways or be tacked to the ceiling! and it requires an electrical outlet and a place to sit that is above the floor and not behind a metal filing cabinet or something like that.  Then, I would sync the first satellite to the router.  Unplug it and move to some convenient place about 30 ft. away. Again, not in the middle of a room (it need to be plugged in to electricity).  Does it light up BLUE?  Try moving farther away, stil looking for a convenient place (mounting, electricity, not behind metal things).  If it fails to turn BLUE , you've gone too far.  Then, sync up the second satellite and do the same thing, moving away from the first satellite (across the house).  There is little point in having a WiFi system against an outside wall (except for the above concerns), because half of the signal "goes outside".  (Oh, dear.  the Patio!)

The good thing about WiFi mesh systems is that they can be moved easily.  So, after you place them, take a cell phone around the house and see what kind of signal you get.  People will want to "use the internet" almost everywhere in the house.  Or, put the Orbi "app" on a cell phone or tablet (I like the bigger screen on tablets) and walk around.  Periodically, look at the "Link Rate" shown for the device.  If it has a strong connection, you should be "good".

I am such a Nerd that I loaded a "Heat Map" app on my Android tablet and created a signal strength map for the entire house (and outside).

LAST: Buy it from Amazon or Costco!  Do not buy it directcly from Negear.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7