Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need to constantly toggle wifi | Dropping | Lag

barronlau
Aspirant

Need to constantly toggle wifi | Dropping | Lag

I live in a small 700 sqft apartment that's divided by concrete walls. I used to have to use an additional router as an AP, but those routers needed an upgrade. Since I'm moving to an new larger 1800 sqft apartment (also concrete walls) I decided on the orbi due to some great reviews and figured 2 satellites would definitely cover the entire apartment. I haven't moved yet, i'm still in the small place and I decide to install the Orbi. I've noticed that I constantly have to toggle my wifi on all my devices to access the internet. Or, for example, when I'm on my laptop the wifi always shows as connected be every couple of minutes when I try to load a website it hangs/lags. If I wait it bit, and try again, it will work. I think maybe the 2 satellites were too close so I turned one satellite off. Didn't seem to help. Then I assumed maybe just the single orbi router might be strong enough to cover the entire apartment, and even one satellite was overlapping too much. However when I turned off the last satellite the entire system lost connection to the internet, which means I assume I cannot just ONLY use the router alone?. I'm not sure what to do here. I purchased this system to improve my internet experience but it seems using Orbi is working against me, and the old router/AP setup was more effective. Please can anyone give me some advice?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Any other wifi neighbors near by? If so, how many? What channels are they using?

Does just using the router alone exhibit the same thing?

What channels are you using on the Orbi router?

What FW version are you using?

Message 2 of 5
barronlau
Aspirant

I mean yes I have neighbors that have wifi, but that is normal isn't it? When turned off the satellites the internet connection broke completely, and even though still connected to router I couldn't get online.

I accidently set the wrong region, North America. However I'm using the device in Hong Kong. Could that be the reason? even after a hard reset, and re-setup of the Orbi I could not change the region. Its stuck and greyed out as North America.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Region could be a problem. Would need to find a way to change that.

@DarrenM

Also having neighbors neary by can cause problems as well. How many and what channels are they using?

Message 4 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Does the model number had a NA at the end of it?

DarrenM

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7